Disk cache spikes whenever audio tracks are involved

I’m having those spikes too, so I tried to uninstalling Intel Rapid Storage Technology as mentioned here:

So I asked Steinberg Technical Support for help and they told me to uninstall Intel Rapid Storage Technology …

Unfortunately this resulted in very laggy graphics and audio, so I reinstalled Intel Rapid Storage Technology and everything’s fine again.
It’s only the spikes in the meter that irritate me, but as long as it’s only the meter, I decided to just ignore it.

Hello Dan2k78,

I faced this issue half a year ago. It was the hard drive where I had my project data on (two year old 2TB 7500 RPM) that was starting to fail . After replacing it with a new one and copying the data over, the problem was gone.
I now replaced all my 3,5" drives with new 5-year warranty long life types. More expensive but saves you a lot of headaches and possible data loss later. Do you have a sort of a backup system or a RAID ?
If you don’t have a RAID, make sure you backup your projects regularily on an external drive. I’m using a 3.5 TB external drive for that and run a backup every weekend.

Regards

Zibin

I faced this issue half a year ago. It was the hard drive where I had my project data on (two year old 2TB 7500 RPM) that was starting to fail . After replacing it with a new one and copying the data over, the problem was gone.
I now replaced all my 3,5" drives with new 5-year warranty long life types. More expensive but saves you a lot of headaches and possible data loss later.

It’s funny that you should mention this.I just stumbled upon this article while looking for updates which is a little bit worrying.

I had no idea that the Samsung 840 Evo SSD drives were having any performance problems and now I’m wondering if this maybe the cause of my spikes. I’ve upgraded every other driver I can think of so far without luck so I’ll try this firmware fix for the 840 Evo and see if it makes a difference.

Fingers crossed!

Hi Dan2k78, I too have an 840 Evo 1 TB drive and also suffered the dreadful performance drop. I didn’t get spike of any kind though just a data transfer drop under 90 MB/S (normally around 520!). After a firmware update it was OK again.
But back to the spikes in your system; it could really be anything! You could also try to put your video card in a different slot? Because some slots might be shared with the the storage controller. I would suggest to remove/disconnect everything from your system that is not absolutely necessary run Cubase at it’s basic. So only the system drive, videocard and sound device (also you could try using the internal soundcard with asio4all? Just to also rule out a driver issue with your sound card?). If possible please also try a different video card?

Furthermore also try this? https://www.steinberg.net/nc/nl/support/knowledgebase_new/show_details/kb_show/safe-start-mode-resetting-the-cubase-preferences.html

Hope you can sort out what’s causing the issue on your system?

But back to the spikes in your system; it could really be anything! You could also try to put your video card in a different slot? Because some slots might be shared with the the storage controller. I would suggest to remove/disconnect everything from your system that is not absolutely necessary run Cubase at it’s basic. So only the system drive, videocard and sound device (also you could try using the internal soundcard with asio4all? Just to also rule out a driver issue with your sound card?). If possible please also try a different video card?

Hi Nickeldome, thank you for sticking with me while I’ve worked my way through this. I’ve really appreciated your help.

I don’t think I’ve suffered the performance drop with the Evo 840 yet. I’m guessing I’d already know about it from what I’ve been reading but I’ll install the firmware update anyway just to be on the safe side.

I’m pretty sure that I won’t be able to try another video card but I can definitely swap the slot it’s in and see if there’s an improvement. I’ll can also remove everything except the basics and run instances of Cubase like this too.

In other news…I noticed today that after the many driver updates that I’ve done and the installation of the Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver V1.9.9 that the clicks and pops seem to have finally gone away! The disk meter still spikes like crazy when clicking around the timeline and on certain transport buttons though. I guess I have the same situation as peakae and M1000 have now where the meter spikes but it’s doesn’t affect the performance. Maybe this is quite common for a lot of Cubase users?

Anyway, I’ll try the things you said and see if there is a difference. I’m starting to get the feeling that this may be as good as it’s going to get for me though. I’ll let you know how it goes!

Anyway, I’ll try the things you said and see if there is a difference. I’m starting to get the feeling that this may be as good as it’s going to get for me though. I’ll let you know how it goes!
[/quote]

If the driver update fixed the audible issues I wouldn’t dig too deep anymore? But at least do some ‘heavy duty’ testing by loading some demanding plugins and play around with those, just to make sure everything is stable? If everything turns out OK? Happy Cubasing!

Disable your Network from Device Manager and check if your disk cache spikes gets fixed.

Disable your Network from Device Manager and check if your disk cache spikes gets fixed.

Hi, I tried this previously but it made no difference unfortunately.

Out of curiosity … how many people see disk spikes when either clicking in the timeline of a project, on the transport buttons or moving the locators? There doesn’t have to be any kind of performance issues present.

I’m just wondering how common it is to see this happen?

1 Like

Reviving this topic as I’m having the same issues. I just got off the phone with Steinberg support and NO, this is NOT normal behavior.

They had me try several things, from clearing the preferences to updating my graphics card, to saving projects on separate SSDs, trying different audio interfaces, reinstalling and updating the audio drivers, including the generic low latency audio driver, etc.

Nothing has worked and Steinberg is now submitting my issue to the development team. Really ridiculous.

Has anyone been able to resolve this issue? The spikes are not just a visual annoyance, they’re overloading the system with anything related to audio tracks. A project with just a few audio tracks and plugins will cause pops and distorted sounds, even though this is a premium specced-out PC.

Any help would be majorly appreciated…this issue came out of nowhere and I’m literally about to stop using Cubase for good.

1 Like

Sorry for hear that, but me too.
I am new to Nuendo11, came from StudioOne5. For better video co-operatively, I bought Nuendo 11, it’s powerful, and mediabay is too. But this disk glitch and audio stutter thing really annoying me. My PC build is not on the top but well enough, I7 9700K, ASUS Z390, Corsair 64G, Samsung 970 Pro, RME UFX+ and bunch of SSD, never meet this issue in S1 before. I will keep figuring, but meantime, hope your guys here can give me some clue.
Thanks.

I had the same problems and found out that it got better when disabling the auto fades of the audio tracks. The maths seems to be: the more cut parts you have, the more spikes.