disk cloning

So I just got done installing a bunch of steinberg software I had purchased over the last 4 to 5 months. Everything seems to be working ok (registration, activation, elicense, etc.) and UR22MKII audio interface as well.

Thinking I might want to clone the OS drive before going any further and upon researching it, cloning seems to be different process than imaging?

Is there a best “cloning” software program? Not necessarily interested in freeware. Would be willing to spend <$100 on a good program.

Thanks.

A disk image is a bit-perfect copy of a disk stored in a file.
A cloned disk is what you get if you write that disk image to a new disk.

There are many products out there but I’ve been using TeraByte products for years. It would help to know if you’re on Windows or Mac.

I’ve used Macrium Reflect recently with good results.

Windows. Sorry for omitting my OS.

I have used the free Clonezilla software. The last time was 2.5 years ago when I moved all my Cubase related programs from one Windows computer to another… Worked with no issues so… good luck with your choice… :wink:

Regards :sunglasses:

One thing to keep in mind is that not all software allows you to create a truly bootable clone/image of the operating system drive that you’re currently booting from. So if you’re booting from the c drive then as far as I know most software won’t allow it, and you’ll have to boot from something else to get it done.

So make sure the software allows it before you buy it.