Disk Layout Best Practices?

Hi, I am watching Mark Struthers LinkedIn Cubase tutorial and notice his disk layout (see attachment).

It seems he is splitting up audio files and sample files on separte SSDs. Is there a best practice doc or recommendation of how to organize the disk layout when using the Cubase 10 application. I have mine setup with just a SSD for the OS and applications and I have a 2nd larger SATA drive where I keep samples, VST3 and other data. But basically, the application is running off the faster drive and the VST3 and VST folders are on the slower one. I have them organized by vendor. e.g.

D:\data$company1\VST3
D:\data$company1\VST
D:\data$company2\VST3
D:\data$company2\VST

e.t.c.
cubase10.PNG

I don’t bother with installing/moving VST’s to different locations. I use the default VST directories as much as possible. If you want to see different layouts like sorted on vendor or type of FX’s you can create and save profiles in the plugin manager.

Advise on what and how to install where I would like to refer to this.

I think the OP is asking about the library not the VST itself.

Yeah that is pretty much the scheme I use. I’ve got them spread across 4 SSDs with top level folders named after the vendor and under that by library name. Works well and there is no particular benefit in any arrangement from a performance point of view - so organize however it makes sense to you and helps you find stuff quickly. One gottcha that happened when I had fewer SSDs and the libraries for 2 vendors on the same disc were both growing and one would need to move - which is just busy work. So now I spread them across discs trying to anticipate future library growth - trying to keep fast growing libraries on separate discs and then pad those out with libraries that are static or slow growing.

I was kind of referring to this in the link but not on specific directories. I’m about to add my 5th SSD (2TB)! :slight_smile:

And yes, I use sort of the same scheme? But I sort them primarily on instrument and the vendor is secondary. So I have something like this:

e:\Kontakt\Orchestra - Spitfire Audio - “Library name”
e:\Kontakt\Choir - 8Dio - “Library name”
f:\Kontakt\Guitar electric - Impact Soundworks - “Library name”
g:\Kontakt\Harmonica - Chris Hein - “Library name”
h:\Kontakt\Guitar acoustic - Native Instruments - “Library name”\

I do it this way because one vendor can have multiple kinds of instruments. For instance sorting on ‘8dio’ is not very efficient for me because they literally supply libraries for just about anything that makes sound. Not that I’m that rich that I own them all? I wish! :smiley:

But sorting on instrument works better for me overall.

Thanks for replies and feedback.

Is there any downside to just dumping them all in one global location?

For example, just plop them into
D:\VST3
D:\VST2
D:\AU

Other than the fact that it will take forever to scan the directories by the application.

Yes and no? You should distinguish VST (program) installations from ‘data’ and ‘library’ installations!

For instance the VST (program!) for ‘Kontakt6’ by default installs on c:\Program Files\Vstplugins\Native Instruments\Kontakt.dll

But that doesn’t necessarily mean you should install all your ‘libraries’ in there?

So you’d want to install the ‘program’ (Kontakt.dll) in the default location but it’s data (samples) on a different ‘drive’ where there’s more and faster space available?

After you start the program you can ‘scan’ your disks or tell the program where to go look for it’s specific data or libraries?

Usually programs with large libraries will ask you where to install their ‘data’. But some just go ahead and install it on ‘their’ default location on the C:\ drive? But preferably you’d want to choose where large libraries are installed?

Hope this makes sense?

Well the key disadvantage is it will make it harder to find stuff when you go looking for something. Kind of like if you took all your paperwork for bills, health insurance, family records, passport, birth certificate, etc. and threw all of it into a big bag and mixed 'em all up.

Also that D: drive is going to fill up faster than you suspect and you’ll likely end up with multiple global locations.