Display and printing questions

Hello,
Is that a way to configure the score in the mode page as a landscape mode? As I am writing an orchestra score, and it would be better to edit everything in a landscape mode, to not have to turn the page every 3 bars…

I also need to get ride of the articulation tags… because I have on almost every note many tags like “clarinet staccato”, “oboe legato”, “violin marcato”… that have been imported from Halion (expression map) And I do not need these to be displayed on the score. I just need the expression and articulation symbols on notes to remain, (the classical musical notations/expression/articulations symbols) and nothing else.

Also, is there a way to get the different parts edited? For example the score of each instrument (track) alone?

The goal is to export a clean PDF of it that can be used for a professional orchestra?

Note : I need to fix all these things in Cubase 12 (not in other software, thanks).

Hi,

Scores > Page Mode.

Open Lock Layers and move the Note Symbols to Layer 2. Then hide the 2nd Layer.

Screenshot 2023-02-17 at 9.14.40

As you can see on this screenshot, the + Articulation becomes hidden.

1. Score → page mode?

I get a portrait mode score!
I am asking for a landscape mode…
And I need to diminish the « size » of the music, to make the huge system of 16 instruments, fit in a landscape page mode, in able to have like 12 bars of the symphony per page, otherwise, the conductor will have to turn his pages every second! As in a portrait page, you cannot have more than 3 or 4 bars…

1. If I use your trick for the articulation map? I lose only the graphic articulation symbols with it that I absolutely was not asking to delete! I need the graphic articulation « symbols » to remain! I just need to get ride of the articulation tags written in full words! Please look to the picture.
    Each note has its graphic musical symbol, as a dot for a staccato, a little curve between 2 notes for a legato, another symbol for a spiccato, etc. I need only this to remain. The symbols., how to delete the words that I did not ask for?

All these new tags (words) where not in the score when I wrote the symphony in the very old Cubase 5 VST Score 25 years ago. The tags came from Halion in my new Cubase 12. when I started to add an articulation map for the “Iconica Opus” VST sounds. And now, I have all these words written everywhere… on the top of my previous words (that I wrote as a text). For example : at the beginning of the symphony, I wrote « strappare » to the strings… which is a very strong “marcato”. And of course, there is no a such thing in the expression map of Iconica Opus in Halion… I only had a “marcato” that I can mix with some other attack, editing the VST sound… and now I have the Marcato word written on the top of my old text “strappare”, as a tag (written as words) on (for) each note (that I don’t want), I do not want to delete graphic articulation symbols (it took me thousands of hours to write them! Note by note). I do not want either to delete what I manually wrote in the past as a “text”, like this “strappare” indication. Just delete the new tags.

Thanks.

Use Page Setup.

1 Like

And regarding your second question, another option is:
Score Settings>Project>Notation Style>Miscellaneous: “Hide Expression Map Symbols”

To hide only EM “tags” select one of them, right click, hide.
This operation must be done for all tags.
Unfortunately there is no function that just hides all tags.
The option suggested by the Maestro hides or displays all EM information (symbols and tags).

@Danix78
Could you define “tag” and its difference with “symbols” with regard to Expression Maps?

I need indeed to hide the EM wording tags and not the graphical symbols tags.
I tried to right click and hide the symbol word long tags, and it hides ONLY that tag.
I tried to shift+double click on the first tag of ratchet instrument, and I could select the tags that are ONLY in this page.
I tried to do it outside from the page mode, and it hides ONLY the tags that are on the screen…
So this is a very inconfortable problem…
I wrote this symphony on Cubase 5 VST Score 25 years ago, and on the original file, I have no wording tags.
I don’t understand why we would need a working tag for each note, saying if it’s staccato or marcato or legato, in a professional version of Cubase in the score, when we have already graphical symbols that can show the musicians how to play each note…
And if I load the old version of this symphony, I will not have all the modifications I did in the score for the last 3 months of working on this score…
And I need to apply for a composition international competition tonight before midnight… I need the PDF of the full score whiteout this « wording ».
If in the old Cubase 5 VST score we had a possibility to not have this working, I doubt that in the modern Cubase 12 we cannot make it disappear…
Please help….!

Please look to the picture I uploaded in my original post. I need to hide the « wording », not the musical graphic symbols… as I had thousands of hours to put all the graphical symbols for each note in cubase.

If you look to the picture, you will see what I need to make disappear.
Your solution will hide the symbols and not the wording.

Thanks

Oh I see, my mistake.
These are just texts.

Then there is another way, still using my solution.
Do you see where I’m going with this? :face_with_monocle:

Yes Master.
I wrote tags because the OP called them tags, meaning the text indications of each articulation (the name given to the articulation slot in the EM editor) that appear in the score together with the note symbols.

No I don’t get it.
How do you delete all these texts for the articulations ?
Without deleting « my texts » ( I mean what I wrote as a text and not the expression map text).
Thanks

Let’s use the actual jargon from Cubase, otherwise things get confusing fast.

@Dominique_SALLOUM

• use the Hide function to hide things.
  • use Edit mode whenever possible while you are editing, then start using page mode for layout later.
  • read the manual. I know people don’t like to hear it, but most of the questions you ask are addressed in the first few chapters.
1 Like

@steve

Hello Steve.
I red the manual carrefully… and I still don’t find the answer!
I even have Steinberg in the US that are trying to help me at the moment, and we found no solution.

Here are some pictures, where you can see that I tried to use the Hide fonction, and I am still not able to hide the Expression Map wording in the score.

So please, if you have a solution? You are welcome.
Thanks

@steve
Is that a bug due to the import in Cubase 12 Pro of a score made with Cubase 5 VST score 25 years ago?
As nothing is working… And I urgently need to get ride of these wording expression maps from all instruments…

The only solution I found it to delete the expression maps one by one… but that means I need to do it for all instruments (more than 10.000 bars…)
Please help!
Thanks

@Dominique_SALLOUM

I’ll help you with these things first, if you follow my suggestions I will be happy to continue.

• Be in Edit mode, and stop using Page Mode until your score is prepared for you to perform page layouts.
  • Know that selecting works just as it does in the other editors: Shift-double-click with the Selection Tool selects all following objects of the same type.

• If you want to know about hiding objects in your score, then look up Hiding in the manual (or Masquer if you’re reading the French manual)

There are several ways to hide elements. You can use the Hide command (see Key Commands Dialog and use the search function)

For example:

You can also use the Filters, see this manual entry: Filters

Thank you @steve for your time, and yes, I am following all your instructions.

Be in Edit mode, and stop using Page Mode until your score is prepared for you to perform page layouts.

I always use the edit mode when working. And I was now preparing the page layouts and I found the solution for the landscape mode. I went to file → “mise en page” ( is it Layout settings in english?) and I asked for a landscape shape. I also could manage the layout preparation, minimizing to 50% the size of the score, and editing the distance between the lines to have everything that could fit in the pages. Thank you.

• Know that selecting works just as it does in the other editors: Shift-double-click with the Selection Tool selects all following objects of the same type.
  • If you want to know about hiding objects in your score, then look up Hiding in the manual (or Masquer if you’re reading the French manual)

There are several ways to hide elements. You can use the Hide command (see Key Commands Dialog and use the search function)

1. I am trying in edit mode to shift-double-click on the first Expression Map wording, than right click to hide, or use the many other ways to hide. It hides, Yes… But just for few seconds. If I zoom in and out? it comes back, in the same screen… like magic… ! and it makes me crazy…
    The only solution I found was to “delete” the Expression maps, for every “screen” for all bars, all instruments.
    If I knew how to record my screen, I would send you a video…

By the way, shift-double-click did not select all the Expression Maps that follow as it should be (I mean for the rest of the score), it did it only on the actual screen (before coming back).
It selected also the text I created before (not only the Expression Maps wording…), so I had to verify all the words I was deleting… to not delete what I do not want to delete.

1. Yes I know how to use the filters, and it is not working. For example, when I shift+double-click on the first Expression Map wording, it select them on the screen (and only this screen), I hide and it comes back on the screen (if I go to another screen (few bars later) and come back, to the previous bars where I tried to hide these things). If I use than the filters to display the hidden things, I find all the hidden things that will be displayed one on the top of the other that came back.
    For example :
    a) I hide “Basson1Staccato”
    b) “Basson1Staccato” comes back, if I zoom in and out, or if I go to another screen than come back.
    c) If I ask to display the hidden things, I will see “Basson1Staccato” hidden that is shown, on the top of the other “Basson1Staccato” that come back.

I believe I had a bug in my file? due to I don’t know what… Maybe because this file was originaly made in Cubase 5 VST Score?
You may confirm this or not.

Note : I did not try to “print” a page to verify if these “supposed to be hidden” information where indeed hidden (for the printed score), or if it was only a display glitch…

So, the only way to clean all this stuff I found, was to delete these expression maps one by one. And when I delete them, it doesn’t come back.

Note : Here is a screen shot showing the “hidden” Expression Map of the Timpani, that I had to hide twice, and you can still see the Expression Map not hidden on the top (I moved it a little bit with my mouse to let you see the transparent words of the hidden Expression Map).
Please confirm that this is a bug?

It’s probably duplicate text.

Let’s recap, Dominique:

1. Display and print the score in landscape mode

(in French: Fichier>Mise en Page…)

2. Hide unwanted expressions in Score Editor
You can manually hide expressions using the layers or the hide function mentioned by @Martin.Jirsak and @steve

But here is another approach that may work for you, based on my suggestion in post #5 in this thread.

The idea is to convert specific expressions that are imported as simple texts, to Expression Map symbols, and then hide them. This way, all unwanted expressions can be hidden and unhidden across the whole score with a single click.

See this (relaxing) video explaining the procedure if needed.
Let us know if it works for you.

2 Likes

I really appreciated your tips @Maestro and the video you sent. It’s very helpful.
Unfortunately, I had a bug. I tried all the solutions everybody gave to me, including solutions I found before posting. And nothing worked.

After shutting down Cubase and restarting my computer, I tried to load old .back files, trying to understand what happened.

I could not duplicate the bug again. But maybe @steve was right. Something happened that duplicated the Expression Maps, as everytime I was hiding it, it was coming back.
I am still woundering why these Expression Maps duplicated that way? and why the shift+double cliek wasn’t selecting all the Expression Maps that follows in the Score Editor.

The steinberg amercian team tried to help me too (as I have another Cubase licence in the US on another account), and they could not duplicate the bug neither as they did not have my file to understand what happened…

Anyway, I deleted all the Expression Maps one by one, and I learned a lot during that process, thanks to you.

So, thank you again all of you