Display/Power down all plugins with one command?

Hi -

To save system resources while recording I like to power down almost all my plugins. Is there an easier way than going track-by-track?

Thanks!

Yes there is:

Hold down shift + alt (on windows) to activate quicklink and klick on the ‘I’ button in the middel on top of your mixer. All inserts are turned off that way. Same works for Sends (‘S’ button).

Beware: sometimes the visibility for these controlls are turned off, but as far as i remember, they should be on by default.

Sweet - thank you Tomess!

Hi -

Just tried it out. Unfortunately, on my system, the “I” button at the top only bypasses the plug-ins, rather than power them down as I was hoping for.

Bypass would be fine by me, except I don’t think bypass lessens the ASIO/CPU load (only power down does) … is that incorrect?

Thanks much -

Would it not be easier to use the constraint delay compensation, and set the allowable latency really low.

OP here … bump. Is there any way to Power Down (not just bypass) all plugs in the project with just one command?

Thanks!

If it’s of any help, VST3 plugins that don’t have input or are bypassed should have very low cpu usage.

That is a very good point!

As I don’t use many (if any) VST2 plugins, I think maybe I don’t have to bark up this tree to see why I’m getting interrupts associated with real time peak surges in the VST performance meter.

Hmm, I see my HOFA4U meter doesn’t have the VST3 \\ sign.

Neither do my UAD-2 plugs, but I think those don’t contribute to this sort of problem.

Testing - and thank you djw for reminding me about that nice aspect of VST3 plugs!

pekae did give you the solution to your question, but it looks like you didn’t see it.

Here’s a bit more info:

Sheesh, I am so embarrassed. When I read peakae’s post I didn’t even recognize it as being an answer to mine, I thought he had inadvertently posted a reply in the wrong thread. Yikes!

From this point of view, it looks like an ingenious idea, thinking way outside the box to solve the problem. The only thing I’ll look out for when I try it is to be sure the comfort reverb built into my UR28M I have in my tracking cans isn’t affected. I’m guessing it won’t be, but.

Thank you steve, and (quite belatedly :blush: :slight_smile: ) peakae.

Well, there you go. I don’t know how out of the box it is- it’s a feature that was added for the precisely reason you are looking for it - to permit low latency recording.

Ask yourself- is the comfort reverb running on your computer, or not?

On another note, could you possibly make you sig a lot smaller? I understand that you’re trying to help, but honestly speaking, those links aren’t the best documentation for those points, and the sig actually takes up more vertical space than do most of your posts.

(responses split off to Steinberg Forums)

Yes and no :slight_smile: - the problem I first noticed was glitches associated with real time spikes during playback. Freezing all my VSTi’s seems (so far) to be the only thing that works.

I’m not as sure I’m having tracking glitches for the same reason, I’ve had some recordings stop but I’m not sure if they are related to real time spikes or not (probably?). Peakae’s PDC hint is something I’m glad to know about also, and that I’ll work in as needed.

Tracking with a 64-sample buffer without problems … I can’t believe I can do that … woo hoo!

Just fyi for anyone else using the free HOFA4U fader plug-in (mentioned above): it is available in VST3 - I guess I use that plug-in a fair amount, so I swapped out all the VST2 versions from my project. Maybe that also helped with the improvement/reduction in real time spikes/playback glitches I’ve been noticing.