Dissolve midi with Expression Maps

I’ve searched this forum and elsewhere for an answer but I haven’t been able to find it, apologies if this has been asked before.

I have an orchestral template with different expression maps for each instrument, so all my instruments (Violins 1, Trumpets) only have one midi track, which is then routed to VEPro. I want to dissolve these tracks in to separate channels based on the expression map set up I have for each instrument (Violins 1: Legato = Channel 1, Sordino = Channel 2, etc). I thought I could do this by selecting “Separate Channels” from the “Dissolve Part” box that comes up. However this doesn’t seem to work as the “Separate Channels” option is greyed out, even though I’m using an expression map on the track.

Is there a way to do “Dissolve by Expression Map” in Cubase, either by the midi channel the articulation is assigned to or by the selection in the articulations lane itself?

Thanks for your help.

The only thing I can think of is to re-record the MIDI track (and its Expression Map) via a MIDI loopback (recorded to a “regular” MIDI track, without any Expression map on that one, and MIDI channel set to “Any”). You should then be able to dissolve that MIDI track.

Thanks for the advice! I’ll check in to the midi loop back function.

You are on Mac (according to your profile), correct?
For MIDI loopback, you should activate the Mac’s IAC Bus (in Audio-MIDI Setup).