Distance between slurs and sharps

I’d like to put in a request for a separate setting in Engraving Options/Slurs for the distance between slurs and sharps. There are settings for naturals and flats, but the setting for the distance between slurs and sharps is determined by the Minimum gap inside slur curvature to avoid collisions. If I set this value low enough to yield a pleasant result for sharps, the slurs come too close to other objects, like notes.

Dorico won’t allow slurs to bisect sharps at all, because that’s not normally done (as I’m sure you know). I’d be curious to see some examples of what you’re trying to achieve.

Might not be ideal either, but sometimes you can simply turn off collision for slurs and still get a pleasing result — it depends on the context.

I definitely don’t want slurs to bisect the sharps. Here are some examples of what I mean.

The first example was made with a minimum gap setting of ⅝ space. This produces slurs which maintain a ‘healthy’ distance from noteheads (LH slur after the barline), although the distance from the sharp (last 2 RH eighths before the barline) is too great. In general, this setting also places slur endpoints slightly too far away from noteheads and beams (like the right endpoint of the slur after the barline).

The second example was made with a minimum gap setting of ¼ space. This produces slurs which are closer to sharps (although not quite close enough for my taste) but which are definitely too close to noteheads (first LH b-natural after the barline). In general, this setting also places slur endpoints at a good distance from noteheads and beams (the right endpoint of the slur after the barline is better in this example, but still not ideal).

The third example used the ⅝ setting as a point of departure but I nudged both slurs to be where I wanted them.

desired result.png
one quarter setting.png
five eighths setting.png