Distortion problems in Cubase. Please help

Today I was working on a project from the software plugins. But I thought I should try the project with the hardware too. But as I used the external plugins in my project the project starts to distort. I tired it on both cubase 11 and 12 and its happening on both of them. I do not understand what is happening. The distortion is in the whole song its like a siiiii sound which starts as soon as I use external plugins. I tried to switch off all my hardware one by one to see which one is causing the problems but switching them off doesnt help. The distortion is there until I am using external plugins. As soon as I switch them off everything is fine. It will be very grateful if someone has a solution for this or knows why this happened. I have tried everything I could but it just doesnt work. My PC specs are i7 2nd generation, 32 GB ram ddr3 and a gt 610 graphic card. Please do let me know if thereā€™s any problem with the setup.

Sounds strange, it may be a feedback sound? If so, you need to mute all the inputs. If you open up your app that configures your sound device, in there should be a mixer of some sorts, so the inputs you have hardware connected to should be muted in here. Then when you are in Cubase you should not get any feedback.

Other things to check are: that you have connected everything properly (cables), and are feeding the hardware a good signal not too loud, otherwise that might cause distortion. Does your hardware have different operating levels? Either +4dbu or -10dbv? That may have a bearing on if the signal is distorting.

Thatā€™s all I can think ofā€¦ Hopefully someone else may have some ideas

As stated, sounds like a feedback problem. You should first of all check all the connections, both hardware cables and virtual routings inside Cubase

Anyhow, what you wrote is very generic, what do you mean ā€œexternal pluginsā€? Compressors, reverbs, synthesisers? Tell more

And tell step by step what do you do: do you put a hardware compressor on the stereo buss? Or maybe a hardware reverb on a send?

Letā€™s start with just ā€œONE external pluginā€, use just one then we see

Some screenshots would help to understand whereā€™s the problem, but you have to write step by step what are you doing

Thanks for the solution but one of my hardware had its sample rate set at 44.1K whereas my projectā€™s sample rate was 48k. Thatā€™s what caused the problem. Thanks for trying to solve my problem

Thanks for the solution but one of my hardware had its sample rate set at 44.1K whereas my projectā€™s sample rate was 48k. Thatā€™s what caused the problem. Thanks for trying to solve my problem. I actually didnt notice that itā€™s sample rate was set to that.

Ah, glad you figured it out. Itā€™s often something simple but not always obvious straight away :grinning:

1 Like

Sanjeev, can I ask how many external devices you are using in the EXT EFX bus, and then when you ā€˜pingā€™ the chain, what is the Delay Compensation ms number you are getting? Iā€™m curious because Iā€™m using a MOTU M6 and the delay compensation number has only been showing up after the Cubase update. Iā€™m getting .50-.52 ms - is yourā€™s similar? Thanks.