Dithering

Hi there,

I saw few things in forum on dithering but I still missing something. I did a mix, that I want to mixdown, but the mixdown (wav file) is little bit different than when I listen it in cubase itself. I tried the uv22hr, in my stereo out in my mixer, but I didn’t noticed any improvement. I tried in different bit (8-16-24) and had same issue always. Is there a strict procedure to use the uv22hr? Or something I must do to have the same sound in my mixdown than in cubase itself?

Regards

You posted in the VST connect forum. I’ll move this to where you will get a response.

OK, I’ll try… Dithering is meant to be extremely low level noise that is introduced to cover up some sort of artifact or other that we really can’t notice when we reduce the bits (in most cases here, we’re talking reducing from 24-bit (highly recommended to record at) to 16-bit, (the CD standard)). It’s not going to be much of an impact, and you would only hear the difference at extreme volumes. Here among us amateurs, we’re much more likely to criticize your guitar solo. Never saw anybody report that you forgot to dither.

Aloha guys just to chime in.

I find it analogous to back-n-da-day Dolby use; in as much as it seems (to my ears)
to be more effective with certain types of music.

The more dynamic the music, the more it seems to work.

I really notice it with a single slack key guitar or a solo flute or a jazz combo .

But with hip-hop (mainly done inside the box) or a reggae or pop/rock band. I hardly notice it; if at all.

And as Early21 posted, it is basically adding noise to cover up other noise (artifacts).

Good Luck!
{‘-’}

@11:39

:sunglasses:

Or add an analogue emulating plugin (which also emulate the noise in the analogue circuit, Important), and you have a “self-dithering” system.
Put a Slate Digital Virtual Tape Machine (or simular) in the master bus, and export your mix to 16-bit without worries :slight_smile:

PS. Important to have the “analogue” noise on. At least for one plugin in the mixing/mastering chain!

When (some) Mastering engineers goes 24-bit out, through a tape machine (or analogue chain), and 16-bit in for final CD format, they never use dithering. The tape noise is the best “dithering” ever :wink:
There’s usually a reason for wanting to got through analogue equipment in the first place (the added noise/distortion) :wink:

Ok this video is, so far, the most informative thing I’ve seen in a long time. Thank’s Ian for posting this!

thank you so much all!!