Dividing a given measure into two with different signatures

I quite often use odd time signatures, which I tend to change many times while the project is progressing.
So I may have set them to a point and I decide to divide a bar of 19/8 into two bars of 12/8 and 7/8.
I get to 12th beat and change the signature.
When I do this all subsequent bars are affected.
Is there a way to do it without affecting others?
Just replace a 19/8 to a 12/8 and 7/8 without moving others

1 Like

Hi,

Set the Signature Marker the bar after to 19/8. Then divide the previous Bar to 12/8 and 7/8.

1 Like

That’s what I do and all subsequent bars get messed up.
Unless you are referring to a procedure I don’t know
What is the procedure for “division”?

1 Like

Hi,

I see. The problem is, you add a new bar in fact.

Then you Shift + double-click (to select the one + all following events) to the 1st Signature event after your change and then move the Signature events 1 bar right.

1 Like

no I don’t add anything.
Events after the point of insertion are ok and they follow the bars accordingly.
I have a 19/8 and I want to have two in its place, one 12/8 and one 7/8.
After that I have 6,7,7,8,7 etc but if I try the change all these are not lined with the events any more

Perhaps a few screenshots would help to show what is happening.

It has to be done in this order:

First change the earlier (19/8 ) sig. Then, in the next measure whcih was created insert a 7/8 sig.

It should be that simple

Hi,

In this case, you add one more bar.

Bar 1 Bar 2 Bar 3 Bar 4
19/8 19/8 4/8 -
19/8 12/8 7/8 4/8

Bar 2 is originally 19/8. Then you change Bar 2 to 12/8. But you want the next bar to be 7/8. So Bar 3 is 7/8. And the bar after is 4/8, which is (in the new scenario) Bar 4. So yes, you add one bar.

what I do is
go to the end of the 12th beat and type down in the time signature in the transport panel I put 7/4

ok in that sense yes.
But the beats are the same and the events are the same

Hi,

You cannot change the Time Signature in the bar. You have to change it at the Bar start. So the Bar 24 has to be set to 7/4. Tehn you have to move 6/4 (and all followings) 1 bar to the right. And then add new Signature event and set it to 5/4.

I was hoping there is a way to insert new values and the following to move to the right

Hi,

Exactly. In my example:
19 + 19 + 4 = 42
19 + 12 + 7 + 4 = 42

I think I found a compromise.
I follow the procedure I just described and then from the signature track options/process bar dialog I insert a 7/4.
Then all the events are moved to the right, so I select them and move them one bar to the left.
It is easier than having to change all following signatures.
But I am wondering if it can be done easier