Divisi at beginning of piece

I have a relatively complicated divisi in the first violins at the beginning of a piece - there are parts for three solo violins, while the other members of the violin I section are divided into two parts. To be honest I don’t understand why Dorico doesn’t condense them, because I’ve Condensing is activated and I’ve toggled ‘Condense dives’.

This is how it is displayed by Dorico:

However, I think it’s a bit confusing. I would prefer it to look more like this:

Schermafbeelding 2023-05-26 om 21.01.47

(the only difference being that ‘gli altri’ will be divided into two parts)

I think it’s a bit confusing that Dorico shows the ‘Violin I’ name twice, if that makes sense. Is there a way to avoid this? Thanks a lot in advance.

Edit: actually, consistent with the example provided above (from Strauss’ Rosenkavalier), I would like to condense the three solo parts onto one stave, and the two ‘g.a.’ parts onto one separate stave. Is there a way of doing this?

Dorico doesn’t condense solo divisi sections, I’m afraid.

The staff labels in this source score are not so clear. The Boosey edition makes it clearer that the top staff is 2 soli (who play in rhythmic unison throughout, so they can share a staff, as they do in the Violin I part), the middle staff the 3rd solo, and the bottom staff all gli altri.

As usual, what’s important is how the staves are divided in the part, and in this case it’s the same as the score. So you can just copy what you see: a 3-part divisi with the 2 top solo players together on the top staff, and no condensing needed.

Hi, thank you both for the reply. I’ve pasted the three soli into three different voices of a same staff.

Schermafbeelding 2023-05-27 om 08.37.43

Is there any way I can get the bottom stems to align?

Thanks a lot!

You can select those notes and, in Engrave mode, use the Voice column index property to move them into the first (zeroth) voice column.

I’d recommend not squeezing the 3 soloists onto one staff. Despite the brackets, it becomes hard to tell who’s supposed to play double stops.

Thank you so much @dspreadbury. If I could appeal to your kindness once more, do you know if I can flip the stem of the lowest voice to the right? I’ve tried to do this in the properties panel in Engrave mode but haven’t found a solution.

Schermafbeelding 2023-05-27 om 08.56.32

Fair point, I thought the brackets woud make it sufficiently clear but maybe not. Guess I haven’t found the ideal solution yet.

You can’t flip the stem to the other side of the note without also flipping its direction, but if you want to do that, it should be as simple as selecting the note and hitting F.

Thank you. I think I’ll just solve it by creating one stave for soli 1. and 2. and another staff for solo 3 as was suggested above!