Divisi condensing bug - missing notes?

I have a divisi Vln II part which is written like this in galley view:

And when in page view and condensed, becomes this:

Notice the erroneous whole rest in the triplet in bar 191. I can’t figure out why this is happening. If I turn off condensing for Vln II, there’s no problem, but the notes are always gone when the divisi is condensed. I’ve tried manual condensing upstem/downstem – same problem. I’ve also tried creating a new divisi instance at that bar – same result. There are no other signposts at that spot, and this is not an imported file from mxl or previous Dorico version. I see some posts regarding a bug with condensing and multi-bar rests, but that doesn’t pertain here and may be fixed by now anyway.

Anyone know what I’m doing wrong? Is this a known bug?

Not sure if it’s a bug but it might be worth attaching a version of your project with that section.

Another way I like to diagnose things is by deleting bars before the problem and then narrowing down until the problem disappears (if it does). E.G. delete bars 1-50 first

I’m not familiar with divisi but does putting a Condensing Change before that bar change anything?

(You can probably stop at Point #4 and just tick the box before pressing OK)

It certainly looks like a bug. Can you please cut down the project to the smallest number of bars and instruments that still reproduces the problem, and attach it here so we can take a look?

Hi Daniel,

Here’s a cut-down project. The problem seems to be tied to the system break that follows this bar. When I delete the system break, it condenses as expected, but when I add it back, the problem returns.

Condensing Bug_adtino_2024-03-16.dorico (1.2 MB)

I tried deleting the second slur of the half triplets and even with the system break, it condenses as expected. So the slur seems also to be involved.

1 Like

Thanks for providing the cut-down example, @adtino. We’ll look into this next week and see what’s going on.

1 Like

In my case the problem was a rest in the second instrument which was set to voice 2. I had already tried to delete the rest of instrument 2 but the error remained. Then I copied and pasted the part of instrument 1 onto the staff of instrument 2 and a rest appeared under the pasted part. Once all contents were deleted, the error disappeared.
I hope this helps you!

Thanks, but that’s not the issue here. This particular case only uses a single voice on each staff. I also did try copying the material from the Violin I into Violin II as well as simply re-entering the passage for Vln. II – no dice.

It seems likely that this is a condensing bug caused somehow by the interaction between the triplet, the system break, and the slur over the barline. I’m sure Daniel will give us an update once they have a chance to check it out. For now, I’ve worked around it by rearranging my system breaks.

I badly explained myself. Even in my case were instruments with only one voice per staff: one of them contained music, the other only rests. The problem seemed to be that the rest of the second instrument was set in voice 2.
Best regards!

1 Like

We have been looking into the problem @adtino reported and believe we have a fix. Condensed divisi is very complicated, but hopefully the fix won’t introduce any further problems. All being well, the fix will make its way into the next update.

8 Likes

My guess is that the next update (Dorico 6) - if everything runs normally - will come at the end of May. In any case, most versions were released at the end of May.

Dorico 6 is not imminent. The next update will be another Dorico 5 maintenance update.

1 Like