Divisi, condensing, voices, different sounds

Hi,

One of the most stunning features of Dorico is how it can condense divisi parts in the conductor’s score.

What I can’t still understand, is how I should deal with divisi, voices and separate sounds.

Now, consider I have a Violins I dividing often. I guess the best way to deal with it, in Dorico, is to write the full section in the Unison passage. Then, I would assign different voices to Unison, div. a and b:

• Up-stem Voice 1 will play the full section for Unison

• Up-stem Voice 2 will play the sound for div. a

• Up-stem Voice 3 will play the sound for div. b.

Is this correct? Or having all Up-stem voice will cause troubles when condensing?

Paolo

In theory you should find that, provided you have only a single voice active at any given time, condensing isn’t affected by using different voices. It’s possible that you might run into a bug in this area, but hopefully not.

1 Like

Thank you for your answer, Daniel.

An alternative to divisi is still using separate players for Unison, divisi a, divisi b. Condensing should then give the same result in the score, without requiring separate voices for playback (being all separate players).

At the same time, Unison/divisi seems to be the most logical and the cleanest solution. I continue to prefer to use this precious feature.

Paolo

One of the best things in D4 is that empty voices are no longer automatically deleted when closing the document. So, maybe I’m writing a piece starting with divisi strings, where

• Up Voice 1 is Unison.
  • Up Voice 2 is Divisi a
  • Up Voice 3 is Solo

and I can find the Unison. voice (Up Voice 1) still available when reopening the document, and all the other assigned voices correctly linked, even if I have not yet started writing the Unison. part.

Paolo