Divisi issue solo player to section player - is there a work around?

When Dorico 1.0 was released I began to engrave a handwritten band score that I received YEARS ago that I never got around to doing. Being new to the software, I truly didn’t understand the importance of solo players vs section players. As such, every part in the score is a solo player.

Now that Divisi is available, I am going to try to utilize this feature. Is there a way to retroactively change players from Solo players to section players?

Robby

Off the top of my head, no, but you might save some time and a few headaches by creating a new (section) player and dragging the instrument from the old solo player to this new section player.

That’s what I’ve been doing with old orchestral scores. Fortunately, one can add the whole string section to a score using “Add Ensemble”, so it’s not too painful …

Thanks for the advice! I greatly appreciate it!

Robby

I wonder…
The more I think about it, the more I feel like this straight separation between solo player and section players does not make too much sense and will be dropped in the future.
I need a solo player to be able to change instruments, which can’t be done with section players.
I need a section player to use divisi, which (obviously) can’t be done with solo players.
What if I need both?

I know that it’s not too common - but definitely possible in modern music (and I know some very “creative” composers…) - to have a score where you need a section that already has some divisi parts to switch instruments, eg. from saxophone to clarinets.
Why is this requirement made impossible by design by Dorico?

It’s made impossible for good, practical reasons, and I don’t expect this to change in the future.