Divisi: playing technics not working

Hello,

I used the divisi function to split a solo violin from the ensemble.
The Ensemble is playing pizzicato quite correctly - but the solo violin does too, even if not marked as such.
I even added an ‘arco’ to the solo line - which makes no difference.
Dorico plays back everything as pizzicato …
And in Play Mode the solo violin is not accessible…

That’s the thing: you don’t find a solo violin in Play mode because you’re not actually creating a new player, just a new stave for the section. They share a MIDI stream, which is why the VST consistently plays the last arriving keyswitch. I believe that are plans to at least split voices in the future (not sure what’s the word on different staves of the same section, but that would be easily done with voices), but not yet.

I ran across a similar situation myself in the past 24 hours.

What ended up working for me was:

Scenario: I had a stave with arco material in the Stem Up Voice, and pizzicato in the Stem Down Voice. Both voices were on the same stave. This can present a problem because our connected VSTi plugin uses a key-switch to get the pizzicato sound. The plugin isn’t really meant to play pizzicato and arco sounds at the same time. So, the pizzicato voice needs his own unique instrument/channel to avoid conflicts here.

To get this to play back correctly I did the following:

1. Created an entirely new section/player in ‘setup’ mode, and set the proper Tutti Violins Combi instrument. I made sure this new stave was directly below my problem stave. Since I entered a new ‘section’, by default, Dorico gives me tutti Violins from HALion Symphonic Orchestra for the stave. If I want a different plugin or sound to be used at this point, I could then do so from the play tab.

2. I used selection filters from the Edit menu (in write mode, galley view) to select only my stem-down voice (the pizzicato stuff).

3. After insuring all my pizzicato stuff was selected, and nothing else, I used over-ride controls in the bottom panel to ‘mute’ all of the selected pizzicato notes. This allows me to keep a stave as desired for visual/printing purposes, but the pizz notes on this stave won’t make a sound.

4. I used “Paste Special” to put a copy of everything selected (my pizz notes) into the empty staff below.

5. I made sure everything on my new stave, and only these notes were selected and ‘un-muted’ it all.

Now I have a stave that plays back properly, as well as one that offers the visual effect of having multiple voices/parts on the same stave.

In engrave mode, I can adjust the Master Page to filter/hide the pizzicato stave from view in write and engrave modes. At this point, all staves are visible and I can work with them from Galley View, but filtered staves will not show up in write or engrave view.

Now I figure that in the future it’ll be best to keep some hidden staves handy if I need to work with multiple articulations or bowing styles on a single divisi stave. If there is a way to assign stave voices to independent instrument plugins/channels, I haven’t found it yet.

I found this also. To be fair, Sibelius suffers from this problem also (MuseScore allows you to assign techniques to voices) which requires you to create hidden staves with copies of the music for playback. It’s a pain in Sibelius as well. I don’t know about Finale.

I’ve seen comments from Daniel that the plan is to support independent MIDI channels per voice / divisi, which would resolve this, but I imagine it’s a while away.

That all being said, the divisi feature like this, is a clear step in the right direction and I’m very happy about it. In fact that feature + NotePerformer support led me to take the plunge and purchase Dorico 2.