Divisi / Solo instrument

Over various versions of Dorico when writing divisi, I’ve never been able to figure out how to trigger a solo instrument (e.g. solo violin), as Dorico doesn’t do it by default (at least not for me).

For example, when writing for a string section, I’ll divisi the violins I with a solo instrument on top (using the divisi edit prompt). I make sure that I check the solo instrument vs. dividing the section. However, the solo violin, never defaults to a solo violin. It always triggers another violin section. I’ve tried this with the default Halion orchestra in Dorico and with NotePerformer. But again, it never assigns a solo violin VI to the solo instrument.

To boot, I can’t figure out how to assign a solo violin (from the violins I) manually in Play mode.

Could someone give me some insight? Thanks in advance.

There have been a number of discussions on this. It is possible, if a little clunky.

Enable Independent Voice Routing, reserve one voice for your Soloist and route that voice to your solo instrument.
div-solo.dorico (1.2 MB)

2 Likes

Thanks Janus. I see what you did and was able to recreate it from scratch on my own. Yeah, an extra little step. Hopefully we’ll see in a future version that when you create a solo instrument from a section, Dorico creates a separate channel automatically and voices it appropriately to its own separate instrument.

(first world problems . . .)

Again, thanks for taking the time to respond.

1 Like