Divisi viola clefs

I’ve set up divisi violas (now that is a seriously neat feature! thanks, guys).

I want Viola 1 with a treble clef, but Viola 2 with a viola clef.

Treble clefs are showing in both staves, but actually are (rightly) only being applied to Viola 1 - when I play the note that looks like a B above middle C, in Viola 2, it’s coming out as middle C, as I want. But how do I get rid of its treble clef, which shouldn’t be there? Delete removes both treble clefs.

The second treble clef in Viola 2 should be there, and is working fine.
Divisi viola clefs.png
If I put a treble clef at the start of the system against Viola 1, this is what happens.

Sorry - don’t know why it wouldn’t upload both pngs. Here’s the second.

Can you attach the project itself, rather than just a picture? A picture may paint a thousand words, but I can’t see enough of the context to see what might be going on. I’m reasonably sure I could sort this out if you attach your project here.

Let’s see…
Ah.
The extract is 6 bars long, the compressed zip file is 6Mb and is apparently too big. I’m very happy to follow instructions or suggestions on how to compress further, or I can send it to your email?
(Why is a 6-bar extract, with everything else deleted, so big?)

Try choosing silent playback template, the file should be dramatically reduced

Sorry to be slow - what I did was take my original file and delete everything irrelevant. Do you mean create a new project from scratch, using that template (which I can’t find, so perhaps/probably I’ve misunderstood), and then copy and paste?

Go to play mode, and from the Play menu, playback template, select “silence.”

Dramatically reduced is a bit of an understatement! Thanks. :slight_smile:
Divisi viola clefs.zip (374 KB)

I’m still puzzling over this (please see the file uploaded in the previous message).
In Write, if you delete the pair of treble clefs in the violas, the alto clef in the next bar changes to a treble clef. I imagine it’s because, being divisi, Dorico has decided that both violas must want to use the same clef, but that’s a bit of an assumption and not right in this case.
What I want is the clefs as in bar, 2 a treble and an alto, without having to put in extra clefs in the previous bar. Perhaps in a future version, Dorico can indeed take the same clef for both instruments, unless overridden by use intervention?

The issue is caused by the fact that the divisi change on the viola staff coincides with the start of the second bar in your excerpt, so the clef change that takes effect from that position will appear on both staves, because they’re unison at that point. If you move the divisi signpost to the left with Alt+left than you’ll get a treble clef in the upper viola staff and an alto clef in the viola staff; this alto clef is of course technically redundant (and cannot be hidden) but it at least means that the C that follows is drawn relative to the correct clef. I would argue that even though the clef is technically redundant, it doesn’t hurt to show it at that position so that the viola player taking the lower staff is sure what clef the following note should be read in.

OK, yes, moving the Divisi flag sorts it out - thanks - and I agree that the cautionary viola clef is worth having.
But please note that in the example I attached on 8 Jan, Viola 2’s note appears to be a Bflat above middle C, when in fact it’s middle C. If you don’t chance to spot that, it could get more interesting in rehearsal than was intended.