.dll error - Cubase Elements 9.5 won't start

On startup I get error message saying Cubase will not work with Windows or has corrupt dll file.

Error Status 0xc0000020
Graphics2d.dll

Says I should reinstall Cubase Elements 9.5

I have hours of work on projects I do’nt want to lose.

Please advise. Thanks

You won’t lose any work by re-installing. If you’re unsure then just make backup copies of all your Project Files.

Since the error is a graphics one I’d first check all Graphics drivers are up to date.

Alternatively, if you’re on NVIDIA it may be the issue below so you’l need to roll back to an earlier driver:

https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-us/articles/115001841510-Windows-Cubase-9-5-does-not-start-or-crashes

Thnx planarchist - my graphics card is intel HD graphics 4000 - checked driver, reloaded just in case but everything looks ok.
Reinstalled Cubase, no change. When I try to start any of my projects I get the same error msg.
Tried starting using one of the bak files, the GUI opens but none of the VST instruments are present. I sent a ticket to Steinberg, hopefully they have a solution. Bummer.

Reinstalling doesn’t delete the preferences. Look in the Knowledge Base for Safe Start Mode and Resetting the Preferences.

Thnx jasian - will try that.

Tried all suggestions. So far, nothing has worked. Did some research into Oxc0000020 error. Looked for currupt files in the windows system, found none. YouYube has several instructive videos on the subject, but nothing I have tried has worked.

Considering deleting the program completely, and then installing a fresh download. rather than just reinstalling. Maybe that will get rid of the corrupt file. Still open to ideas.

Try safe start.
I don’t think any reinstall can help as I don’t think this is a Cubase file.

Grim, I tried using jasian’s suggestion, ala 'Start Cubase and hold down + + ’ I can only do that by opening a bak file because I cannot even start Cubase normally. When I click on the shortcut I immediately get the pop up window that says: C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 9\graphics2d.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error." “Error status 0xc0000020”

When I started Cubase using a bak file I got no VST’s present. They were all missing. The GUI looked different too. Sort of like a cheap low-res version.

You might be right about it not being a Cubase file, but every other program on my PC seems to be working properly, and everything I have tried as far as ‘repairing’ possible windows errors has failed to produce any results. My Native Instruments GUI works perfectly. Not having any other graphics issues.

Are you suggesting that I start Windows in safe mode?

That file is at “C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 9.5\graphics2d.dll”

I suggest you uninstall Cubase using the Windows Programs and Features control panel.

Then verify the file is gone. if not, restart the machine and then delete it.

Then install Cubase.

Oh my goodness. It worked!! Thank you so much Steve, and everyone. Making music again. Much appreciated.

:wink:

Same to me happened 2 days ago. Suddenly Cubase 10 can’t start up. The same dll error. Repaired: did not work. Uninstalled: did not work. Uninstalled again and deleted all Cubase 10 files in my user profile: did not work. Cubase 9.5 starts up as usual (crashes on the VST2 plug in manager as usual but at second attempt starts up) so it cannot be my graphics driver.

What the f*ck is going on with Cubase 10. For me it is the lamest of all Cubase versions I have had. It is slow at start up. Keeps on crashing on VST plug in manager.

Can Steinberg or anyone enlighten me how to get Cubase 10 working again?
Clipboard01.jpg

What the f*ck is going on with Cubase 10. For me it is the lamest of all Cubase versions I have had. It is slow at start up. Keeps on crashing on VST plug in manager.

This is the Cubase 9 forum.