Do I need to return my new RAM sticks this morning?

Hi -

I just bought and installed 4x1GB RAM, 533MHz - replacing 4x512MB sticks. Everything boots, and Cubase 6.5 performance is better than when I had 2GB of RAM installed.

1. What I noticed though is that Speccy reports that each stick is 266MHz, not the 533MHz. I even went so far as to take each stick out and look at it again - they are indeed labelled 533MHz. Task Manager and BIOS report 4 GB installed, but neither comments on the MHz. What do I believe - Speccy or the paper labels on my sticks? The BIOS does say, “Operating in Dual Channel Memory Mode” (the sticks are two-sided). Does that mean I am actually running at 266MHz, or at 266x2 = 533 MHz?

2. Also, after changing out the RAM, BIOS spontaneously made two changes in its configuration. I look at BIOS to follow temperatures, but I never make any changes. However, immediately after replacing the RAM sticks:

a) First, BIOS looked unchanged it booted up fine. I booted down.
b) Next time I booted up, however, the Advanced page was different - entire sections were missing, such as “The Place where you can check your Fan Controls”, and “The Place Where you Can check your System Temperatures and Fan RPMs”. I booted down.
c) After that, I connected my audio interface to my PCI-e Delta 66 sound card, and booted up once more - and BIOS looked normal again, as it has every time since.

1. Finally, I looked closely at the RAM Product ID # just now. It is similar, but not identical to the Product # recommended for my motherboard on the RAM manufacturer website.

So, I’m wondering big time - should I return my RAM for sticks with the identical product # when I wake up tomorrow morning? Or am I ok?- weird BIOS changes and “266MHz” notwithstanding?

Thanks for any thoughts -

DDR2 will quote double the real clock speed.

You get two memory operations per clock cycle, hence Double Data Rate.

So, both Speccy and the RAM labels are correct.

Sounds like things are working fine if the computer boots.

Download CPUID and it will tell you all you need to know unter the Memory & SPD tabs.