Do we finally will have the following in Cubase 12 Pro?

Hi @shanabit,
By the way, Studio One offers only color theme changes. Actually Cubase offers that, too.
In my personal opinion for version 12 they have to focus more on fixing bugs, the things I had mentioned in my first comment and workflow & performance improvements.
One of the key improvements for Cubase 12 will be the some serious steps into bringing it and Dorico more closer to each other. The current MIDI import of Dorico is super powerful tool, but not enough, and it works in a single direction.
The Score Editor in Cubase must be replaced by the “Setup”,“Write”, “Engrave”(limited) and “Print” modes. Actually the whole Dorico Elements, but with unlimited staves/tracks should be integrated. The Condensing feature also should be there. :slight_smile:
The guy who created the Score Editor and support it, with all my respect, could continue his work in integration and supporting Dorico Score Editor in Cubase. I’m pretty sure that his knowledge and experience will be needed in this area. :slight_smile: But wasting time and resources on the most outdated Score Editor on the market is just a crime, while at the same time the company owns such a powerful tool as Dorico…
Some automatic bidiretional way to transfer Expression Maps between Dorico and Cubase is needed, too.
Currently it is possible to import Cubase E.Ms. into Dorico (at the moment EMs. from Dorico cannot be imported into Cubase), but after that pain comes to make them work fine, because two main reasons:

1. The Expression Maps feature in Cubase does not contain the whole variety of articulation and techniques symbols and texts. Most of the people who create E.M. sets don’t even assign the symbols and texts. When they are imported into Dorico they don’t match most of the things.
  • In this area the Expression Maps in Cubase must become identical to the ones in Dorico.
    This was already done in Studio One’s Articulation Variations.
  1. They follow different logic:
  • The most comfortable practice in Cubase is to have separate MIDI tracks per articulation groups e.g.: Longs, Shorts, Effects… For this purpose the Expression Map sets creators, like Art Conductor, make separate files one for Longs, one for Shorts and one for Effects…
  • Dorico on the other side follows the “Real Life” logic “One(or section of) instrument/s - One Staff - All Articulations and Techniques”.
  • In Cubase the Expression Map file should also become a single and applicable to a multiple tracks, just like in Dorico and Studio One. In Studio One once the Articulation Variations file is imported it’s a global and preserved (no need to load it for every project), after that you can decide which logic you would like to follow, whether the “Real Life”, or separate MIDI tracks per Articulation Groups.

I even did a feature request in the Dorico subforum about a portable tool that will allow us to convert Expression Maps from multiple files, to singular and vice versa:
Cubase <-> Dorico multiple expression map files editor & converter
The truth is that the Expression Maps must be completely redesigned to work the same way as it works in Dorico and similarly to Studio One’s Articulation Variations.
Such converter will be needed, too, especially for Expression Maps creators like Art Conductor, who have produced around 8000 sets. Recreating them from scratch will be a killing task.

I hope @Matthias_Quellmann and @Ben_at_Steinberg are keeping eyes on this topic!
If you do. Thank you very much in advance! :slight_smile:

What should be the “First Step” into integration between Dorico and Cubase is already achieved between Studio One and Notion.

The “Second Step” will be towards real-time synchronization between Cubase <=> Dorico (this still not achieved by Presonus). :slight_smile: These things are crucial when it comes to writing orchestration or arrangements on existing audio (single, or multi-tracks), or scoring for movie soundtracks where we are having speach, ambience and separate temp tracks. Last but not at least many of us prefer to compose, arrange and orchestrate with scores instead of working mainly with MIDI mock-ups.

Best wishes,
Thurisaz :slight_smile:

1 Like