Does FIFO matter?

:confused: The only meaning of FIFO I know is First In First Out…

Yeah, LIFO never really worked for me :cry: FILO can be good :astonished: however, FIFO has been the most prominent in my life :confused:

Swamptone, I would expect would have a strong opinion on the question of ‘does it matter?” especially with April 15 just around the corner. :sunglasses:

When it comes to guitars, I prefer EINO (everything in, nothing out). But then I always apply MACRS too … because that strategy (and LesPaulegy) tends to go way above the Section 179 threshold. :wink:

256 bytes as opposed to 16 mean a bigger buffer. The concept is used everywhere in computers, in hardware as well as software. So a writer puts data into the buffer, the reader gets data from the buffer and the buffer provides a way to separate the writer and the reader. I.e. so they operate independently.

For example, imagine yourself playing on a MIDI keyboard and the MIDI Events are sent to the computer. Now the computer hits a busy spot and cannot be there to receive the stream of MIDI bytes right then, and so data would be lost. A buffer would make sure that MIDI data is not lost, since the writer keeps pushing them bytes, while the reader was kept from doing its job. When up and running again, it can start picking up the stream of bytes again.

I am not sure it’s possible to just arbitrarily say which one of the two is better, because it depends on how they are implemented. I like big buffers! :laughing:

You being an electrician, look at it as sort of a capacitor function. :wink:

There are various ways to use these type of functionalities and some are more or less fitting for any one situation. :slight_smile:

Let us know how your FIFO situation turns out! :laughing:

FIFO is always better than SS :blush: :laughing: :sunglasses:

Most dog owners have only one FIDO at a time. If they want more dogs they usually call them something else, like ABBY, ANGEL, ANNIE, BAILEY, BAILEY, BANDIT, BAXTER, BEAR, BEAU, BELLA, BELLE, BENTLEY, BOOMER, BRANDY, BRUNO, BUDDY, BUSTER, CASEY, CASEY, CHARLIE, CHLOE, COCO, CODY, COOPER, DAISY, DAKOTA, DAKOTA, DIXIE, DUKE, EMMA, GINGER, GIZMO, GRACIE, GUS, HARLEY, HEIDI, HOLLY, HONEY, HUNTER, JACK, JACKSON, JAKE, JASMINE, JOEY, KATIE, LADY, LEXI, LILLY, LILY, LOLA, LOUIE, LUCKY, LUCY, LUKE, LULU, LUNA, MADISON, MAGGIE, MAX, MAXIMUS, MIA, MILO, MISSY, MITT, MOLLY, MURPHY, OLIVER, OSCAR, PENNY, PEPPER, PRINCESS, RILEY, ROCCO, ROCKY, ROMEO, ROSIE, ROXIE, ROXY, RUBY, RUDY, RUSTY, SADIE, SAM, SAMANTHA, SAMMY, SAMSON, SANDY, SASHA, SHADOW, SHELBY, SOPHIE, SPARKY, STELLA, TEDDY, TOBY, TUCKER, WINSTON, ZEUS, ZOE or ZOEY.

HTH

FIFO is an accounting term meaning: First In, First Out. It has to do with inventory valuation. For example, if a wholesaler purchased widgets at varying prices over a period of time, there has to be a system for determining the profitability of each widget sold, as well as the cost/inventory value of each widget remaining in inventory. FIFO means the first product received is also the first product shipped out. Correspondingly, LIFO is Last In, First Out.

The same applies to raw material work-in-process in a manufacturing environment. It can get complicated and can have a huge impact on a firms tax liability.

A 256-byte FIFI is at least as good as the 16-byte variety. Go for it.

You might also find that this applies equally to FIFO. :laughing:

As long as it isn’t FIDO then you’re okay.

FIFO refers to a type of queue. A queue in computer (hardware or software) parlance is the same as a waiting line in McDonald’s. First person in gets their request served and then then are removed from the line. Then the next person.

The sample buffer concept in Cubase is a FIFO queue.

Does this help?

I wasn’t referring to MIDI specs, only GAAP specs.

I don’t understand what you’re trying to accomplish. Are you trying to make an obsolete MOTU device serviceable? Some of those old MOTU MIDI interfaces used what they call Linear Time Stamp (LTS) for the MIDI streaming. It was supposed to be more accurate and provide less latency. I don’t know how that translates with the FIFO issue. I don’t know if the #-of-bytes matter either.

I’ve given up trying to make obsolete gear work with new DAW hardware. More trouble than it’s worth.

Good guess, it’s more like running one, for a smooth flow.

As far as a traditional computer FIFO yes, it’s about how much variance can be accommodated between the deposit and withdrawal side of the data connector.

Not knowing what the reason for MOTU’s 16 bytes requirement, I would venture to guess that a larger buffer would be just fine.

These are words of great wisdom. Perhaps you should also learn to move on, Steve.

Have fun with FIFI. :smiley:

I’m having fun with Kylie. :yes: :yfc:

is that you? :astonished: :laughing:

She’d love my big black clock! :laughing:

The 16 vs 256 is referring to the queue depth, i.e. how many people can stand in line before the McDonald’s manager refuses entry to new customers.

So your old device could handle 16 customers while your new device can handle 16 times that amount. That’s why it has backward compatibility.

NOOOOOO

I had the parallel version of that. Be patient and find the USB equivalent on Craigslist or eBay. You’ll thank me later.