Does Steinberg Frequency plugin (C12 Pro) bring anything to the table FabFilter Pro Q3 doesn't?

… besides price (free)! :slight_smile:

Seriously though … besides price, would I be kicking myself because I got FF Pro Q3, feature-wise, GUI wise, computer spec wise (I’ve got an older CPU, i5-4570 CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.20 GHz, with 16 GB RAM), etc.?

Thanks!

The dynamic section of the frequency plugin is so unique. Its’ ratio is inverted, it can make a lot of artefacts and fluctuations which is so interesting if you misuse it to create noisy sound, fluffy drones, etc. It’s great for sound designing, I believe nothing else on the market can do the same.
I.e, it cannot be used for anything that requires natural-sounding treatments. :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks, @TakashiWatanabe !

“Wait, what??” …

Just to clarify, the dynamics section in the Frequency plug in can’t be used in the “usual” way like DDMF or Melda’s dynamic sections?

The reduction at ratio 1 is already far deeper than other dynamicEQs. If you apply it to say, a vocal, the reduction is almost always too deep and sounds unnatural. You can try checking it by making a ramp of 440Hz signal from the testGenerator, then set the threshold in the middle and see how much reduction it will apply at the different ratios, you’ll be surprised.

But please don’t get me wrong, I love this as a dynamic EQ, it’s such a great tool to create interesting sounds which weren’t certainly not designed for! The ratio parameter needs to be extended to lesser amounts, but the current state is very unique and cannot be replaced by any other EQs. :slight_smile:

Thanks again, @TakashiWatanabe !

Any other reason people can think of that make Cubase’s Frequency more desirable than Fab Filter’s Pro Q3?