Does the meters really match the events?

Does the meters on the monitoring tab really match the levels on the events in cubase and are they are correct tool for checking
if the signal is too hot?

I could swear that we checked the metres while the faders were in nutral position (crt + click) enough to know that the level of input
these metres showed was not the same that later showed up on the events after the HD files were imported into the project. Are there really the same? if not which one is accurate tool for avoiding getting a too hot signal. If they are supposed to be the same, could there be a bug there?

They should reflect the monitoring level, that is, what the Performer hears. So they follow the fader and should show the input signal when the fader is at 0 dB (ctrl/click). We’ll check if there is a bug. In any case it’s always vague to judge input gain by those meters, there is almost always an indicator with the recording hardware interface which is better suited. Nevertheless, the meters should provide a coarse estimation of too hot a signal. Will check.

thanks a lot! Of course we primarily check the hardware, but since we use a plugin on the guitar (amplitube) the signal changes and then we need to be able to check the plugin output level somewhere

I’ve looked it up. I guess the problem is the pan value. If you pan hard left or right, you should see the actual input signal. If however pan is in the middle position (default), each side is attenuated by 6 dB to the cue mix which is recorded with the realtime stereo signal recorded on the Studio side. Admittedly this is arguable when you view the meters as indicators for the input signal, but panning attempts to provide equal power. So the record level (not the monitor level) and record pan define the recorded realtime stereo signal, while on the Performer end, the raw input signal is recorded for HD transfer (provided no fx is applied). Hope that clarifies.

Wow, I had to read that a couple of times…

So first of all, I have probably checked the monitor level, because I for some reason thought the recording meter only showed for the recorded stereo signal,

but, is this what I should do then to really get a good signa on all the indididual channels I want to record: set the metre at the recording section to default position ( whatever that is called, but I get to it by clicking with the mouse and pressing Crtl, am I right?). Then I need to put the panner either hard right or hard left and then watch me metre. If the meter does not go all the way up then, then my signal is not too hot and I am happy, is this correct?

If not, please try to explain again :slight_smile:

Pretty much so. It depends if the source is mono or stereo. With Mono, both sides get the same signal, with stereo it is what it is when pan is centered. So yes, ctrl/click sets any control to its default value (pan, volume etc), and with the fader set to 0 dB this way, meter readout should show the actual input. This becomes red when 0 dB is reached or exceeded. It is not super accurate because it is beeing transmitted with limited time precision.
Note that hardware inputs are limited to 0 dB anyway, some even limit to less; you shouldn’t make it too hot, with 24 bits recording depth (that’s a mere 144 dB) you can well afford to give some 9-12 dB or so headroom - but you knew that already :slight_smile:
If you record multiple channels, the record cues determine realtime stereo recording mix. As said before, with the PRO version, raw input signals are beeing recorded on the performers’ computer regardless of any level controls (except inserts when enabled for recording).
Finally, looked it up again and I was wrong regarding the pan action: when centered, both channels are at 0 dB and not attenuated at all, and you can prevent clipping by having Performer set hardware input gain such that no meter moves too close to the top.