Does this EQ make sence?

Whenever I see people talking about mixing they use the EQ before any other effects. At least most of the time. Now that the Cubase EQ is nearly at the end of the insert FX chain does it make sense the have a CC121?

The other thing is that people who spend more money on their equipment mostly have other EQs (Sonnox, UAD, Powercore, Duende) that cannot be controlled via the CC121. On the other hand people who don’t spend so much money on music equipment might use the Cubase EQ, but the CC121 is rather expensive to control an EQ that is widely considered not to be as good as the EQs of the upper mentioned vendors.

Might there be hope that Steinberg makes the EQ position variable or that the CC121 will be able to control third party EQs?

Indeed :wink:
have you check CC121 with the recent firm and driver ?
it allows us to use EQ section as QuickControl 1-8 and Sends 1-4 or 5-8.
CC121 becomes my favorite from this update :smiley:

Yes, I read about this. But the EQ still is at the end of the chain.
Can I assume you own a CC121?

Everywhere I read that the mechanical quality of the CC121 shall be fine. But there is no dealer near here to have a look on a real CC121. I only know it from brochures and this forum. How good are the knobs? I remember some discussions about those rotary encoders of the CC121 and the ones from the Novation Nocturn.
How fine can you control values via the EQ knobs and the AI knob? Are the knobs speed sensitive? I mean if you turn them in a low speed the steps get smaller. How fine can you control the EQ frequency, Q factor and gain? And if you use it as quick control, how fine is the resolution and how many turns you need to go from min to max?
At my current synth the I need to turn the potis 270 degrees to move from 0 to 127. Do I have to turn the AI-knob several times to go from min to max when the mouse is on a VSTi ui knob?

I did some tests for you.

• Channel EQ Section

Changing frequency by frequency knob
eq1 : Initial setting is 100.0Hz and goes up/down 0.1 Hz for every click
eq2 : Initial setting is 800.0Hz and goes up/down 0.3 or 0.4 Hz for every click
eq3 : Initial setting is 2000.0Hz and goes up/down 0.6 or 0.7 Hz for every click
eq4 : Initial setting is 12000Hz and goes up/down 2 or 3 Hz for every click

Changing frequency by AI knob
eq1 : Initial setting is 100.0Hz and goes up 112.5, 126.2, 141.3, 157.7…
eq2 : Initial setting is 800.0Hz and goes up 855.6, 913.7, 974.6, 1038.1…
eq3 : Initial setting is 2000.0Hz and goes up 2102.8, 2209.1, 2319.0, 2432.4…
eq4 : Initial setting is 12000Hz and goes up 12339, 12684, 13035, 13393…

Changing Q Factor by Q knob
all : initial value is 0 and 0.1 step for every click

Changing Q Factor by AI knob
all : initial value is 0 and goes up 0.4, 0.8, 1.1, 1.5, 1.9…

Are the knobs speed sensitive?
Yes

I may be answer rest of your question later.

Hi Goo -

Steinberg should employ you to write a decent manual for the thing! :slight_smile:

Really? Is this a joke?

I have firmware 1.5 and driver 1.6 and I don’t see this.

How do you do it?

Any docs?

I was majorly disappointed by the two new “tools” in 1.6. especially since “EQ invert” sounded like the obvious change we’ve all be asking for and wasn’t. I was on page 3 of the “new functions” pdf, clicking page-down repeatedly, thinking “what? Is that it?!”

thanks.

Hello Misnoma,

the “new functions” manual is included in the driver download. I have attached the English version in my post

Cheers,

Chris
NewFunctions_en.pdf (78.7 KB)

thanks for the pdf.

now i’m really confused.

Goo said "it allows us to use EQ section as QuickControl 1-8 and Sends 1-4 or 5-8. "

All I can see in the pdf is new functions to:

1. invert the gain of an EQ by pressing two buttons
  2. select scrubbing option via the jog wheel rather than a menu-click
  3. switch banks via the jog wheel rather than a menu click

Is that it?

Sorry to be such a dumb user, but how do i enable “use EQ section as QuickControl 1-8 and Sends 1-4 or 5-8”

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

There is an older document that explains but basically:

1. press “EQ type” and “All Bypass” at the same time. EQ type begins flashing. Now you are in “quick control mode”

Now the knobs on the EQ affect:
G: Sends 1-4
F: Quick control 5-8
q: Quick control 1-4

if you now press “All Bypass” that button will start flashing and the G knob now controls sends 5-8

Neat!

Thanks Sunshy.

This is exactly what I needed to know about using the EQ controls for quick control.

I had been using the A1 knob with the mouse up till now because the EQ controls incremented OK, but went to 0 when the controls wee turned anti clockwise - this was when I went into the Devices Setup / Quick Controls / twiddle + learn.

Holding down both pads and getting the flashing lights indeed turns the bottom 8 knobs into quick controls.

Steinberg support didn’t tell me this in the 5 email exchanges.

Thanks again.

It was dark at the time. Must have gone cross eyed too.