Dolby Atmos in Cubase

I’m hopeful Dolby Atmos functionality becomes a reality in Cubase sooner than later. I have projects that I’m excited about mixing in an immersive environment. Stereo and even a good mix in mono will always be an enjoyable means of listening to music. Immersive audio is just another experience, and I feel like I already have ideas on how I would like to produce these new mixes. I’m chomping at the bit here.

Even though it is compatible with listening on headphones, it is end user system adaptive. So if someone is listening to your songs in their living room with one of those Atmos sound bars, granted its not super high end, they will still get to experience it in immersive, providing the Atmos mix is available. Please correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t this already happening?

Maybe it is not for everyone at the moment, but for some, we may be getting asked by the artist to provide immersive audio files as well as the stereo file. I’d like to gear up now. So far I’ve only gotten an inquiry by one artist about the matter and 1 artist I don’t want to lose.

There is always Nuendo, and I’m thinking about getting a copy of Logic Pro to work with for now as a work around. Cubase is my main DAW for recording and mixing. I’m comfortable with Cubase, enjoy working it with it, thank you very much, and plan to continue using it.

Just tossing the idea out there to see how many others may be waiting too. I’d be happy with a beta version even if it would mean an earlier release.

1 Like

When a song came on my MacBook Pro in Dobly Atmos I thought there was something wrong with it. It just doesn’t suit music IMO.

Yes, from what I heard, spacial audio has some inconsistency. Some songs just sound off or wrong while others sound amazing. I believe the format will get better and better given some time.

There is a bit of a learning curve involved, so I’m jumping in now. It’s a matter of exposing myself to it a little at a time so it doesn’t feel so overwhelming. Only a few weeks in where my initial thoughts went from oh **** ***** *****, this looks too *******complicated, to now where I actually feel excited about working with it.

Anyway, I’m taking the journey. I hope others join in. It will be more fun having other people to share ideas and grow with. I’m going to start off working in Atmos using headphones, but I’m mapping out a 7.1.4 mix room as well. In the meanwhile, I’m keeping my hopes up for Cubase updates that will include Atmos!