Dolby Atmos - Nuendo

For all users of Nuendo,
I am a Pro Tools Ultimate user. I recently made a crossgrade to Nuendo 13. The positive side of Nuendo is that it manipulates three-dimensional objects from multichannel tracks, Pro Tools is limited to operating with objects from a stereo track. On the other hand, in Pro Tools I can directly insert a multichannel plugin into the mono/stereo channel and operate (and switch) the track within a diverse scenario: 2.0, 5.x.x, 7.x.x, 9.x.x, etc. and Ambisonics modes (Pro Tools Ultimate supports up to seventh-order Ambisonics). Furthermore, the plugins operate in successive chains, for example, we can start with an Amb 3rd scenario and end with another plugin in 9.1.6. I confess that I have a lot of difficulty working in Nuendo using the power of the extensive features of plugins such as Sound Particles, ab Brewers, Eventide, etc. Still, I’ve admired the way Nuendo operates the panner tools, which are much deeper than Pro Tools.
If Steinberg improves the insertion of multichannel plugins directly into a mono/stereo track, Nuendo will certainly be the most powerful tool, in my opinion.

I think this is possible but in a different than in PT. In Nuendo you need to make a track that goes to a bed or bus that has the correct output format (7.1.4/2OA, etc). Than you can insert the plugin. Tracks do not adapt automagically like in PT.
Check out Michael Wagners youtube channel he has many Nuendo videos with multichannel and atmos as topic.

Nuendo “thinks” differently, but all of this is possible, too (apart from HOA above 3rd order). The “official” way is to create an audio track in the desired format (e.g. 5.1.4) and to drop your mono- or stereo file there. There’s no doubt that ProTools way to change the format by means of the chosen plug-in is a better workflow, but actually you won’t miss a lot.

The big difference (and strength) of Nuendo is its handling of the panner. Not only can you bypass it like any conventional plug-in (which is a necessary step under certain circumstances, eg. Ambisonics) - it allows for changing the panning device altogether. And here you in fact can switch from (say) stereo to 5.1.4 within a single audio track to some extent:

HTH!

Thank you very much for your prompt help. Nuendo works better for me now, but I agree with you about the fact that we can’t chain plugins on the track itself to switch scenes. However, I still think that Steinberg needs to simplify the workflow by minimizing the dependency on creating groups. Many features are inherent to plugins, especially in the transition between them. In fact, in my experience the handling and depth of the Nuendo Panner is far superior to the Pro Tools Panner. I am really impressed with this!

I’ve been watching Michael Wagner’s videos for a long time; as well as the Audio Brewers YouTube channel. The tricks he proposes only cover plugins that can work with Nuendo’s panner features. In other words, Dolby Atmos plugins that require direct insertion into the track do not operate satisfactorily in Nuendo. For example, The Cargo Cult has developed several tools for Dolby Atmos (Stemcell
The pluripotent surround filter; Subquake
Earth shattering subharmonic genesis etc.), but they are not tools that open in a panner.

They easily could, but it’s up to the plug-in’s manufacturer to provide the proper category: