Don*t timestretch my audio for gods sake

Yeah, sorry, I wasn’t clear. It has happened with several different files in several different sessions. No pattern I can think off.

Why? The file is not transposed. Only timestretched.

Why? The file is not transposed. Only timestretched.[/quote]

It’s all about how to set the root key, and how it works.

It’s all about how to set the root key, and how it works.[/quote]

I read the chapter still without understanding why Cubase think it needs to timestrectch some files, some not? More testing tommorrow.

That’s what i would like to know also, but you still haven’t told us the details…

In your first post you refer to it happening while you import a file to a “mastering session”.
Are there any special conditions why you call it a mastering session?
What makes it different from a normal session?

The mastering session info is irellevant. I tested it with a new empty project with the same result. Only happens with certain files.

Which are?
Can you pinpoint something these files got in common?

I still think you are overlooking where the root of the problem is, I doubt if it is anything to do with how the Cubase session is set, it is is the file format you are importing, yet at no point have you actually told us here what the file format is, this is most likely the problem. Cubase will automatically time stretch an ACID file for example, so it is reacting to a particular file format, just look at the format of the offending files, the problem will be there - not in Cubase.

Yeah, it might very well be me overlooking something. THe ACID thing sounds like you’re on to something. Which extension does ACID files have? Can they be regular wav files?

Have a look at this article, in particular the section headed Acid Files.

Acid files seem to be .wav but have extra info in the header pertaining to loop length, time signature, slice points and the base transposition key.

Could well be the route of your problem.

http://www.recordingmag.com/resources/resourceDetail/323.html

Split: I think you nailed it. Will check with the producer who sent me the track to verify!

Acid files bang in extra metadata as split mentioned,

when rendering in Acid, if the Timestretch settings in acid are incorrect (many users overlook this) it will print the File with default metadata, usually 120bpm, Key A…

PITA…but it is why youll get it with some files and not others.

I would also remove the data it stores in the file from mediabay, as it can use the data it collects to stretch your file.

Use the mediabay to tag correctly before importing your file into your project for more control of what Cubase will do to it when it lands on a track. :smiley:

Acidised WAV’s and REX files get sliced n stretched on import.

I always wanted to know if there was a way of importing both ACIDised Wav’s and rex’s just as audio files, minus all the timestretching and slicing.

I just had confirmation that the files were indeed ACID’ized.

How about a popup on import with a warning that the material will be strectched, as there is no way of telling?

Anyway - nothing’s wrong with Cubase per se, it’s just an annoying work flow thing and potentially can cause a lot of trouble!!!

Now you know to tell any customers the filetypes you need to work in Cubase and let them do the conversions so you don’t have to. :wink: Or offer them a conversion service.

Yeah, I’ll definately add “NO ACID’IZED files” to my delivery specs:)

So do you need ACID and/or Recycle to alter these files back to normal wav’s ? Or can you do it in another editor like SF ?

I just came across this problem too. I’m using Cubase Studio 4, and on that app, there’s automatic warping of any imported Acid files. In the POOL there’s a view option for “Straighten Up” (weird name?) if this is unchecked then the file is returned to normal.

Just thought I’d share this here for anybody searching Google for this annoying problem…

I’m only an occasional user of Cubase when I am working with clients who wish to work with it. Logic is my everyday DAW, so I thought I was being slow or unfamiliar or something. O do find it a little strange that this should be default behaviour without a popup telling the user what’s being done…

Oh well - thanks to the contributors on this thread for their pointers that eventually steered me towards the solution.

Still can’t find a way of turning if off BEFORE it gets applied though.

:slight_smile:

Again, use mediabay to tag files before import, then you can tell it to either,timestretch or not, Pitchshift or not…etc., and you can also use it to remove/replace the metadata the file has stored in its header. :smiley: #

Mediabay informs you of the data Cubase reads before import.

I just ran into the exact same problem…I understand it’s the acidized Wav…I don’t understand how to remedy. I can open mediabay but see no way how to turn the stretching off. Step to step explanation would be really helpful…

thanks
ok