DONE! User defined beat: Grid,Compound time,odd meter,Click

It’s been a couple months since I bumped this, but there a bunch of new faces on the forum, and Digital Performer 8 for Windows has been released. (DP 8 has this metronome)

So… bump.

See the pretty screen. Touch the pretty screen. Life is good. One two three four, one two three four, one two three four, …

LOL… :laughing:
One two three four FIVE----- :astonished: Five ?? Five ? where that five came from ? what five got to do with music…?? :unamused:
O.K i can deal with five ill count… one two three five…one two three five :exclamation:

+1

yes - looked quite comprehensive in DP8 (from what I recall of the trial I did, which has since run out…).
So +1

+1

I also work very often with odd signatures. In addition to the request of the post, I would also ask the possibility od setting the click patterns of the metronome track. I try to clarify the point:

let’s take a 7/8 signature. The metronome will play at every 1/8th, however we musicians often “count” a 7/8 as a 3/4 + 1/8…I almost never “count” all the 1/8th…it’s a mess!

So, I’d like to set the metronome track to “count” in this way :wink:

A big two snaps up.

Also: not just useful for ‘odd’ meters. Take something like Flamenco which may ‘feel’ like 12/8 or 9/8 to civilians but that’s not how it’s -counted- or =felt=.

On that note, I would LOVE to have the some sort of tie-in with the metronome so the accented note(s) would auto-magically change to reflect changes in the grid.

+1 and backed up by thick bar lines

+1

+1

should also include triplets etc.

+1

A printed/printable click track is really REALLY needed…work-arounds are not acceptable in 2013…

Yes that would be great.
In addition the diferent ways of counting and the accentuation should be made visible in the timeline.
This would speed up editing.

Some examples I use in Flamenco music:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
1 2 3 4 5 6 1 and 2 and 3 and
1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2

+1

Very frequent that I need create a double timed click for a drummer when the song tempo is slow. Some sort of doubling of the intervals or programmable option would be neater

The ability to turn the click track into midi or audio is super needed as I need to make live tracks or sync licence stems very often which require click as a printable track. I always need to manually build a new click track as it stands

I had a thread abut the metronome months ago. We use it all the time yet it seems so outdated. It could be so much more than what it is. It should have percussion loops for every time signature and tempo. I also have a problem with being limited to one tempo map. I would like to have several tempo maps so all the tracks don’t have to be in the same time signature or the same tempo. I need to be able for instance, gradually slow down some tracks while other tracks remain at a steady tempo. This technique called phase music was pioneered by Steve Reich. You can not do it in Cubase unless you turn all midi into audio tracks.

+1

And expand all meter improvement correction to MediaBay where the loop tempo analysis freaks out when we enter 12/8 … :cry: :imp:

come on Steinberg this compound meter mishandling is wrong since Cubase 1 on Atari ST

SeeWhat

+1
I’ve been longing for a metronome track type as long as I’ve used Cubase professionally, right now we almost always record a few bars of cowbell and a shaker with a suitable pattern, dupe it up and feed it to the cue sends to be able to mute and automate volume freely.

An alternative to a new track type could be a metronome plug-in for use in a regular audio track.

Some features I’d like to see:
-Possibility to add multiple metronome tracks/plug-ins, each with its own pattern, sound, and signature, with the option to map it either absolute or relative to the global tempo/signature. (for instance, a 3/4 metronome track with a global 4/4 signature could either mark every 3rd beat or give 3 over 4 pattern, great for practice)

-It would allow muting/automation locally for the track/plug, the “click” buttons and faders in the control room and on the transport panel would control all metronomes globally.

The only downside is that with more and more of these options the saved time and workflow difference would be less and less compared to slapping up some midi tracks and a groove agent one preset with your favourite click sounds. Maybe a simple solution with only basic automation would become the most used one after all.
/A

I always look for a loop but not enough odd time signatures and not enough tempos or I have to make my own but that all takes too much time.

Perhaps a new VSTi plugin and they could call it Metro Gnome.

+1, This would be super useful. Asymmetrical rhythms used so often in film scores, 7/8 can be (1,2) (1,2) (1,2,3) or (1,2,3) (1,2) (1,2) , etc.

Just wondering if this FR was incorp’d in 7.5? Seems like a no-brainer to me to be able to adjust the click track to whatever is needed.

+1

Bump (again)… I can’t believe that Steinberg has not incorporated this elementary and very useful idea.

Maybe a good first project for one of the Steinberg’s newer programmers. :laughing: