Dongle News! Harakiri model.

Imagine:
Steinberg is changing their license conditions.
You’ll no more have to use a USB dongle!
They will put the new licenses onto a 3.5" disk.
Because new notebooks have no more USB 3.0 connections there will be no change for the customer:
You will not be able to use Steinberg products anyway…!
The 3.5" disks are much cheaper and you can not blame Steinberg if hardware sellers do not more provide the old connections…

I think this is the way Steinberg marketing thinks:
If no_one can use Steinberg software there will be no pirates at all…100% success.

%joking off:%

I tried today to work with my mac (2 USB connections). Samples on an external harddisk(1.), internet stick on second USB (2.), Dorico is on one USB, Cubase+Wavelab and all VSL licenses on a further stick.
No chance to work. Hmmm, perhaps I could put the Dorico license on the Cubase Dongle? Now way, for that I have to use 3 USB connection.

So I made what I do more and more often:
I work with Studio One and Notation…
The more I get used with it the more I will work with it. There will come a time I will no more upgrade to Steinberg products…And it will be a hard way to pull me back…

It’s a kind of Harakiri from Steinberg…, sorry.
Products are one of the best, congratulations for the programmers!
Licence marketing is working for suicide for a couple of years already.

I have to admit, I tried Studio 1 V3x and it is freaking awesome. Would have never considered it at V1 or V2, but V3. OMG. And the company culture from sales through user forums is so upbeat and “can do.”

ah yes, the mac way… kill off all ports and live in some cloud…

Im happy my laptop (which is sorta old by now), still has:

54mm Express Card slot,
PC Card Slot,
docking connector,
DisplayPort,
VGA,
4 USB 2.0 including e-SATA,
IEEE 1394,
headphone/speaker out,
RJ-11 and RJ-45.
and even a spot for a sim card ,
a SD memory card,
a cd/dvd bay,
a physical wifi switch…

sometimes less ports and thinner is not “more pro” in my book…

but hey, you can play games on the new cool touchbar … which is a bonus i guess… ( you know, the thing that replaced all those unimportant things like:
an escape key
or those F keys that:
(no need to read that whole list:P)
F1

Almost always used as the help key, almost every program opens a help screen when this key is pressed.
Enter CMOS Setup.
Windows Key + F1 would open the Microsoft Windows help and support center.
Open the Task Pane.

F2

In Windows renames a highlighted icon, file, or folder in all versions of Windows.
Alt + Ctrl + F2 opens document window in Microsoft Word.
Ctrl + F2 displays the print preview window in Microsoft Word.
Quickly rename a selected file or folder.
Enter CMOS Setup.

F3

Often opens a search feature for many programs including Microsoft Windows when at the Windows Desktop.
In MS-DOS or Windows command line F3 will repeat the last command.
Shift + F3 will change the text in Microsoft Word from upper to lower case or a capital letter at the beginning of every word.
Windows Key + F3 opens the Advanced find window in Microsoft Outlook.
Open Mission Control on an Apple computer running Mac OS X.

F4

Open find window in Windows 95 to XP.
Open the address bar in Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer.
Repeat the last action performed (Word 2000+).
Alt + F4 closes the program window currently active in Microsoft Windows.
Ctrl + F4 closes the open window within the current active window in Microsoft Windows.

F5

In all modern Internet browsers, pressing F5 will refresh or reload the page or document window.
Ctrl + F5 forces a complete refresh of the web page, clearing the cache and downloading all contents of the page again
Refresh the list of contents in a folder.
Open the find, replace, and go to window in Microsoft Word.
Starts a slideshow in PowerPoint.

F6

Move the cursor to the address bar in Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, and most other Internet browsers.
Ctrl + Shift + F6 opens to another open Microsoft Word document.
Reduce laptop speaker volume (on some laptops).

F7

Commonly used to spell check and grammar check a document in Microsoft programs such as Microsoft Word, Outlook, etc.
Shift + F7 runs a Thesaurus check on the word highlighted.
Turns on Caret browsing in Mozilla Firefox.
Increase laptop speaker volume (on some laptops).

F8

Function key used to enter the Windows startup menu, commonly used to access Windows Safe Mode.
Used by some computers to access the Windows recovery system, but may require a Windows installation CD.
Displays a thumbnail image for all workspaces in Mac OS.

F9

Refresh document in Microsoft Word.
Send and receive e-mail in Microsoft Outlook.
Opens the Measurements toolbar in Quark 5.0.
Reduce laptop screen brightness (on some laptops).
With Mac OS 10.3 or later, displays a thumbnail for each window in a single workspace.
Using the Fn key and F9 at the same time opens Mission Control on an Apple computer running Mac OS X.

F10

In Microsoft Windows activates the menu bar of an open application.
Shift + F10 is the same as right-clicking on a highlighted icon, file, or Internet link.
Access the hidden recovery partition on Compaq, HP, and Sony computers.
Enter CMOS Setup on some computers.
Increase laptop screen brightness (on some laptops)
With Mac OS 10.3 or later, shows all open Windows for the active program.

F11

Enter and exit fullscreen mode in all modern Internet browsers.
Ctrl + F11 as computer is starting to access the hidden recovery partition on many Dell computers.
Access the hidden recovery partition on eMachines, Gateway, and Lenovo computers.
With Mac OS 10.4 or later, hides all open windows and shows the Desktop.

F12

Open the Save as window in Microsoft Word.
Ctrl + F12 opens a document In Word.
Shift + F12 saves the Microsoft Word document (like Ctrl + S).
Ctrl + Shift + F12 prints a document in Microsoft Word.
Preview a page in Microsoft Expression Web.
Open Firebug or browser debug tool.
With an Apple running Mac OS 10.4 or later, F12 shows or hides the Dashboard.
Access the list of bootable devices on a computer at startup, allowing you to select a different device to boot from (hard drive, CD or DVD drive, floppy drive, USB drive, and network).

… and of course all the other functions they perform when in conjunction with the “FN”, “Ctrl”, “Shift”, “Alt”, “Ctrl+Shift”, “Ctrl+Alt”, and “Shift+Alt” keys…

You cant blame steinberg for having a dongle, which is actually very cool if you want to set up shop anywhere in the world , when apple kills off all ports…

anyway, do not take this post to seriously… im jus yapping my mouth again:P

@ggc

…and I am sure you forgot to mention that your 5kg laptop has still a 3.5" drive…and 4 wheels underneath…

I think the software has to be build for the hardware and not vice versa…thats because SOFTware and HARDware.

Surely Strophoid and ggc have the same hardware and software and have now a nice help for their function keys.
Whenever they are not sure…they just have to visit the Steinberg forum to press their right function key :slight_smile: :wink:
just kidding…:wink:

What is this “wheel” you speak of?:stuck_out_tongue:

Indeed. Steinberg should of course build a full version of Cubase for your iPhone, because that’s the hardware you decided to buy. And to my Arduino too …

Or maybe we should buy computers which can run the software we want to use … oh … waitaminute … too complicated. Let’s just blame Steinberg. :smiling_imp:

On a completely unrelated note: Tracktion have a DAW that runs on an Arduino. Or a Pi

Now that’s far out! I can imagine a DAW for Pi, but for Arduino … mind blowing! Oh wait … we can’t be talking about original 8-bit Arduino here. Right?

You’re probably right. I thought I’d seen an Arduino logo there too but I can’t find it now.
It’s still in development yet and not too much is known.

…before this thread is totally hijacked by some hardware fetichists:

There are people who like that all is blinking and endless cables and knobs are visible to play around…
And then there are people who just like to produce nice thinks :wink:

Steinberg will change the dongle policy for sure!
The question is WHEN they will switch! After a majority will have switched to competitors or before.
I hope they will find a solution in the near future where you can use the product in Studio and on laptop without transporting and filling up a USB port with a dongle.
For the other people check USB One Led Blinker - YouTube

I saw this topic and was hopeful that there was a change in the dongle requirement :cry:

I moved on to Logic Pro X because of the restrictive licensing model of Steinberg. It was not intentional to use another DAW, but I wanted to work on a project between 2 systems without thinking about move the dongle between them. So I tried Logic and now that I have learned all of the nuance of using Logic – I’m hooked.

I would never have stopped using CB if there was a no hassle way to swap between systems.
I really like CB and even upgraded to CB9 to check out the features but stopped actively using it.

I can understand that S/W needs to be protected but its 2017 - there must be a s/w solution.

bye bye=)