dongle problem solved but what's the cause?

hello everyone. I recently got a new computer and had nothing but problems with it from the get go. Most of the time it would boot up to the windows logo and just hang there and I had to turn the machine off and back on which led to blue screens…memory dumps …etc etc.

Then there was another problem that I thought at first was unrelated. Cubase would open… but when I closed it I couldn’t open it again without rebooting the machine first even though it would show up in task manager under processes.

So I did some searching on here and found another user with the same cubase issue and he solved it by moving the dongle from a usb 3.0 port to a usb 2.0 port. I did the same and it not only fixed the cubase problem but the bootup problem as well.

Naturally I am glad the problems are fixed but does anybody have an idea why it happened in the first place? Why does the dongle being in a usb 3.0 port cause hiccups like these?

here are my specs on the new machine:

Processor: Intel Core i7 2600K Quad Core
Memory: 16 Gig Dual Channel DDR3 1600 Ram
Power Supply: 700 Watt Crossfire/SLI Power Supply
DVDRW Drive: Lite-On 24X DVDRW Burner
Hard Drive: 60GB SATAIII SSD Hard Drive (Intel Rapid Response Enabled)
Hard Drive: 1TB SATAIII 7200rpm Hard Drive (SSD Cached)
Two more 1TB harddrives
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
Sound card: RME hdsp9632
USB 2.0: 8 USB 2.0 Ports
USB 3.0: 2 USB 3.0 Ports
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit
Cubase 6.5

Not got a clue!
But it’s not just the dongle that has problems with USB3, a lot of USB interfaces wont like USB3 as well.

Haven’t heard em this extreme before, but it doesn’t surprise me. USB3 isn’t backwards compatible, even though they like you to believe otherwise.