Dongle question

Hi all.

I have two computers in my house on which I use Cubase for different purposes. Well three actually, but this doesn’t apply to the laptop: I was wondering if it’s possible to use one dongle on two computers at once via a shared USB hub?

If this is works, is it also possible to have the Cubase application itself running on both computers? The downstairs computer is solely for music, is always on and always has Cubase running. Do i have to be careful to shut down Cubase on one computer before i use it on the other? I don’t want to accidentally trip some protection mechanism and invalidate my key.

the only reason I’m asking is I’ve just had a baby and suddenly find myself with one less hand with which to carry things. It’s purely a quality of life question and will resolve itself in a couple of months anyway, but I just thought I’d ask.

Thanks!

no. you must purchase a license with a dongle for each computer for simultaneous use.

Doubtful…
I never seen a shared usb hub that allows using a usb device by two or more computers at the same time. The sharing usually involves some kind of manual or automatic switch.

Interested to see what others say.

Regards. :sunglasses:

If you are yourself working at both machines, you just have to take the dongle with you (maybe you can leave cubase open in the mean time, without using it, without a dongle). Don’t worry about damaging the dongle. If this ever happens Steinberg will help you, you will only need to buy a new empty dongle.

If this is works, is it also possible to have the Cubase application itself running on both computers?

At the same time: no, or not without trouble. Shared: probably yes. You will get errors when the dongle is in use by the other computer. I do not think the dongle is being used all the time, but it is an improper way of license handling so it is prone to trouble.

I don’t want to accidentally trip some protection mechanism and invalidate my key.

:laughing: very likely this is indeed what is going to happen and it is hardly to be viewed as accidental. So not advised.

the only reason I’m asking is I’ve just had a baby and suddenly find myself with one less hand with which to carry things.

congratulations !!! :slight_smile: Leave the baby in the basket and use both hands on both computers (downstairs and upstairs) Little babies should be handled with care!
I guess you didn’t mean to say that you needed a shared license so you can work on both computers using one hand on each computer while carrying the little-one ?

kind regards,
R.
R.