"Don't save" deletes .bak files?

Oh dear. It seems I didn’t save the project, and when I clicked “Don’t Save” it deleted all the autosave .bak files I had been using. Any way to recover these? A forensic hard drive tool to find the .bak that was deleted?

forensic tool isn’t finding it…damn

I am not clear about what you are saying? Cubase has an automatic saving process in place for a given project. These are recallable as far as I know, and you have to physically erase them. However, if you had a lot of work going on with an opened project, and you closed it and declined to save it, then that last project window was not saved, per se, depending on how your auto save is timed in Preferences.

I am saying it takes some effort to stop Cubase from backing up a project.

Do you know where the project auto save data is being stored? If you have not set up a special storage folder you will probably find them in your My Documents or something similar.

If you saved your project onto your HD, then you could restore your system to a point when the bak file still existed. If you saved under your documents, that unfortunately won’t help. I’ve done this so many times it’s just not even funny.

The last bak file I have is from 04/24, but I worked all day 04/25. So if its not there, cb failed to autosave correctly? Thats happened to me before

Well, there was another poster who was really into the .bak files process. His thought was that the .bak files were limited to 10 in number automatically, without changing your basic install, and that once those 10 were filled, the process replaced the last file over and over. Which meant that your take #11, became your earlier #10, and then #12 became your #10, then #13 became your #10, etc. It seemed that 1-9, once filled, were static, and the #10 was replaced if your count had reached #10.

Well, I never tested this. But it sounded interesting. :sunglasses:

Anyway, before you get out ‘there’ again, you might want to test this process. It sounds like, in your case, the #10 was created, and there was no #11 to replace it. Which actually seems very possible, too. Here I mean it could be - and this is my speculation - that once you reach your limit, there is no more backup files made. As far as know, this idea could be possible, too. Sure, why not? In fact, it sort of sounds like it did happen in your case.

At any rate, you can increase the amount of.bak files being made in your Preferences. If you are going to be working this way in the future, increase the number to 30 or higher.

As to your last automatic Cubase ‘save’, you might want to try your own process sequence and see if you can reach #11 auto/save- and then find out where it is on your PC, that way you might find your previous #10 version. Just a thought.

OMG this just happened to me again. CUBASE PLEASE FIX!!!

Well, I don’t mean to be unkind, but what is there to fix? And whom is Cubase? :wink:

I suppose there are some different understandings about the definition of the word “autosave”. I’ve thought of it as an addition to me hitting ctrl-s habitually- something to get me out of a jam after a crash, mainly. I did experience the same thing you have, but once I understood how Cubase understood the term ‘autosave’ I didn’t have trouble with it. When you tell Cubase not to save, it saves nothing.

There’s another function, Save New Version, that does do what it appears you might find handy, unfortunately it can only be invoked manually. You could though, use Auto-Hotkey to fire it every x minutes.

Anyway, I know the pain of losing work, it’s a hollow finality.

Continues in bug report: .bak files deleted error - Cubase - Steinberg Forums