Dorico 1.2 manual/online help updated

Great work Lillie!! It has to be a major undertaking, and it looks like you moving at a terrific pace!!!

Robby

So no manual for 2? I guess I picked a bad time to start that evaluation period.

I would say that the manual for 1.2 will still be incredibly useful. The handful of changes that occurred from 1.2 to 2 is relatively small… between YouTube videos and this very forum, you will find all the answers you need.

Robby

Don’t forget the Version History document, which lists all the changes between 1.2 and 2.0 and how to use them.

Dear all,

I’ve just published another fairly significant update to the 1.2 manual and online help.

There are a few new topics dotted around, like one for signposts and pick-up bars, but the main focus of this update is the index. I have been doing a lot of work, with the help of my brilliant manuals colleagues, on improving the Dorico index, and it’s now much longer, much more legible, and (hopefully) much more helpful.

With very best wishes,
your friendly neighbourhood manual author

Hey Lillie,

I know it‘s a huge amount of work for you! Thank you very much!

Thanks so much for all your work, Lillie! This is going to be some nice reading during my coming coffee break :slight_smile:

This looks great! Thank you for all the hard work you’ve done.

Stew

Thanks Lillie!!!

Thanks for the update! — I wonder if it would be possible to date successive versions of the manual more clearly. The file I just downloaded (from the link in the first post in this thread) is dated on page 2 ‘Dorico_1.2.0_en-US_2018-02-22’, which would seem to indicate it is nearly six months old.

Hi Kim,

Yes indeed it would - that date refers to the date of the most recent application update to which the documentation refers, in this case version 1.2.10.

See the original post in this thread - we are looking into adding the date of the documentation update specifically to the PDF preamble :slight_smile:

That was two months ago. :slight_smile: I asked for dated manuals even earlier.

I dont understand why it should take so long to adopt a standard procedure. :slight_smile:

David

You da best, Lillie. Great work.

Jack

Thanks Lillie, that would be helpful. Or perhaps the file name could include the version date.

Nitpick (apologies.!)… I was just browsing, saw this…

Bottom of page 301, Item 6 - Mute/Solo

The accompanying note, second sentence:- For example, if you mute a track in the k, the Mute button in the corresponding track header is also enabled.

:nerd:

Brilliantly spotted! Corrected now so should be updated soon. (The letter “k” is because of how I input keywords so isn’t completely illogical!)

I have now worked out a way of including docs publication dates in the Dorico updates with the manuals team, so in updates from now on, the date on the second page of the PDF will represent the publication date of the docs.

Evening everyone :slight_smile:

I’ve just updated the 1.2 manual online, both the PDF and webhelp - mostly minor changes that have come up during my work on the Version 2 manual, which were also accurate for 1.2 and I thought might be helpful to bring across.

No big “new” chunks, but plenty of new index entries that might assist when searching for information, more related links to cross-reference material, and some rewording in a few places, especially to give more use-case examples.

You’ll know you’re reading the most up-to-date version if the date on the second page of the PDF is 2018-12-29 (if it’s not, refreshing the page or clearing your cache should do the business)

:pray:

Still only in English?

Yes, still only in English. Work is ongoing on the localisation of the documentation in other languages. We’re sorry it’s taken much longer than expected, and as we’ve written elsewhere on the forum, we are actively pursuing strategies that will allow us to accelerate work on the translations.