Dorico 2.2.1 Tuplets and Insert mode

Hi everyone,

I’m using Dorico 2.2.1 on a Mac.

When I double click on a rest to activate the Insert mode, I find Dorico acts intelligently because it defines automatically the note value that correspond to the rest.
However, if the rest belong to a tuplet, Dorico won’t define any value and instead will choose automatically in all cases the quarter note.

Is it something that is desired? I’m not sure to understand why the software acts like this.

Some cursory testing in Dorico 3.0.10 indicates that whether or not the rest is under a tuplet, this behaviour isn’t reliable. I don’t think I’ve seen this behaviour advertised anywhere; in fact, the entry in the Dorico 2.2.20 manual here doesn’t suggest that Step 2 (selecting a note value) is optional.

Hi francisb :slight_smile:

Just in case you need to look up information relating to this again, and for your own reference: we tend to talk about “note input” or “when the caret is active” to mean ‘when you can see the vertical orange line that allows you to input notes’. Insert mode is a variation of note input, where the notes you input/delete don’t overwrite existing notes or leave gaps; instead, any notes after the caret get pushed later by new notes you input or pulled in closer if you delete notes. I know there’s a lot of new terminology involved with Dorico, so I hope this is useful!