Dorico 2.2 - Music symbols & note names

Hi!

Two questions:

1. Is it possible to add new music symbols to the list of music symbols? I would like to add fingerings for clarinet.
  2. Do you have plans to implement option for inserting note names?

Thanks!

Dear zlatko99,

1. I think you already can add fingerings with the playing techniques editor (press on the +, so that you will create a new playing technique). You can even choose to make it appear in the appropriate instrument subsection (woodwind?). I do not think you can use the music symbol editor for that, but I think playing technique is a better choice.
  2. There already is a notehead type with note names (with letters) inside, so what is it exactly that you need?

Hi Marc!

Thank you for your answer. I will try “playing technique” solution.
I know that I can use note names inside noteheads, but this is not what I want. In Sibelius I can automatically put note names below notes, and then I use special font to show clarinet fingerings. I can use plain text and my “clarinet font”, but then I have to do it for every note.

I’m working in music school with children from 8 - 19 years old. For younger students I need scales and chords with note names and fingerings for clarinet. With Sibelius I can do that, but I think Dorico is much better, and I would like to see something like “note names generator”. There are more reasons for that. For example: I’m in Croatia, and we use little different note names than the rest of the World.

You can see what I want in the attached example.

Dorico doesn’t currently have a feature to automatically add the note name for a note via text, but when we eventually have more extensive scripting capabilities it should hopefully be very easy to add this.

Ooh. This’ll be helpful for me. I often want to add cautionary note names to notes that are (for example) 3+ ledger lines off the stave. It’s a bit laborious doing them one at a time…

It would be nice to have plugins for that specific needs. Others who don’t need this features, they will not install & use plugin.

Plugins are dependent on Dorico having proper scripting functionality, which Daniel promised (with no specific timeframe!) a couple of posts up…

Hi Daniel, I wonder if this is available now or is it still an RFE? It is very important in Irish music ;-)as many are used to ABC notation. Thank you

Hi all, is there any news for this plugin?

No, at the present time there is no automatic way to add the note names of notes as text items.