Dorico 2.2 using Noteperformer 3.2 not playing scores - RESOLVED

ok… i’ve searched the form and have found nothing that conforms to my problem. dorico 2.2 with NotePerformer 3.2 isn’t auditioning notes when input to a new score nor does it play old nor any new scores. open a score (old or any new ones) and it doesn’t play… the play head doesn’t move when the play button is pressed. any ideas? very frustrating.

i’ve updated the Noteperformer 3.2 expression map to 12. often Dorico 2.2 simply crashes out when trying to play a score. i’m getting to the point where i don’t even want to open Dorico any more.

system: iMac Pro, Xeon W 8-core processor, 64GB ram, Radeon Pro Vega 64 video card running on Mojave (10.14.1)

if i load the HALion Sonic SE sounds it all works. i guess Noteperformer 3.2 is borked for Dorico 2.2. i works fine in Sibelius.

i have a ticket in with Wallander Instruments.

It’s a guess, but when I installed NotePerformer it asked if I wanted to install it for Finale, Sibelius, or Dorico. Naturally, I chose Dorico and it works for me. I was just curious if you selected the correct option on installation?

If you choose Play > Playback Template and choose ‘HSSE+HSO (Pro)’ to use the built-in sounds, does that work, or does that also fail? Have you followed the audio troubleshooting steps described in this thread?

Can you choose Help > Create Diagnostic Report and attach the resulting zip file here?

hi daniel.

both HSSE and HSO (don’t know if it’s ‘Pro’) load. and both of them play. when i load NotePerformer as a VST and click on the ‘e’, the NotePerformer ‘mixer’ pops up and looks like this:
Screen Shot 2018-12-17 at 7.19.56 AM.png
so according to item ‘3’, Dorico should assign the sounds on playback. it doesn’t. now, however the playhead is moving - just no instrument assignments and no sound.

hi BalancingScales - as far as i can tell i installed NotePerformer (any flavor) for Finale, Sibelius and Dorico. at any rate, i’m having no problem with NotePerformer with Finale (except that it’s still in Beta) nor with Sibelius (except that it’s Sibelius).

Dear tbabcock,
Excuse me it this sounds a little bit stupid, but have you tried loading NotePerformer the way it is supposed to be loaded : Write menu > Playback templates > NotePerformer?

As Marc suggests, try choosing Play > Playback Template and choosing ‘NotePerformer’ from the list and clicking OK. That should set everything up for your current project so that it can play back with NotePerformer. You basically don’t want to try setting things up manually by loading it in to the VST Instruments rack in Play mode: let the automatic features do the heavy lifting for you.

that’s what i did (Playback templates > NotePerformer?) and i still had problems. i did resolve the issue however. here is what i had to do to get it to work: in the ‘Play’ menu i had to access each instrument listed and expand the instrument drop-down and from there i had to choose ‘NotePerformer’ as the VST. this despite making sure the playback template was set to ‘NotePerformer’.

You really shouldn’t have to do that, and it suggests something is still not right. Can you humour me and try the following?

1. Do File > Save As to save your current project under a new name, to avoid messing up your hard-won working version.
  2. Choose Play > Playback Template and choose ‘HSSE+HSO (Pro)’ from the list of playback templates, and click OK.
  3. Look at the VST Instruments panel in Play mode: NotePerformer should no longer be listed there, and HALion Sonic SE should be listed instead.
  4. Without doing any further adjustments in Play mode, play back the score: you should hear sound.
  5. Choose Play > Playback Template and choose ‘NotePerformer’ from the list of playback templates, and click OK.
  6. Look at the VST Instruments panel again: now HALion Sonic SE should no longer be listed there, and NotePerformer should be listed instead.
  7. Again, without doing anything else, play back the score: you should hear sound.

If any step in the above fails, can you please let me know which one? And please zip up and attach your project to a reply to this thread, or email it to me at d dot spreadbury at steinberg dot de along with a link to this thread if for some reason you’re uncomfortable posting your music here.

I had one score that would not playback at all after the 2.2 update.
To get it working I did the following…

• Switch to the ‘Silence’ template. (Faster loading than HSSE)
  • Save the score
  • Quit Dorico
  • Reopen score
  • Set template back to Noteperformer