Dorico 2.2. Wow

Yup…just watched John Barron’s November episode on YouTube and was gob-smacked…so many improvements and new stuff. You spoil us your Excellency…

The work that has been achived by the dev team is absolutly incredible.
A big thank you to the Dorico team for this impressive update.

As member of this forum, I’m very satisfied that many of my requests and needs have been included. Thank you Daniel for the quality of your exchange with users on this forum.

And last, i would adress a special thank to the Avid company wich took the decision 6 years ago to fire the Sibelius dev teeam and without wich Dorico would never been created.

Yes, I would also like to thank the big purple people eating company for chewing me up and spitting me out. It sure as heck didn’t feel like it at the time, but it turned out to be one of the best things to ever happen to me.

Every time I think of that whole timeline, I marvel at how things worked out. At the time, I knew next to nothing about Sibelius and didn’t care, to be honest. But if it hadn’t happened, I’d still be nudging score elements around in Finale to avoid collisions, because Dorico wouldn’t even exist. [shudder]

It’s been an extremely profitable semester for orchestrations, and honestly much of that is due to my renewed enjoyment of music scoring. :sunglasses:

I guess it’s true that “The Lord works in mysterious [and often obtuse] ways.” :laughing: For years I thought Sibelius was the true “cat’s meow” (until the undermining of it by the Purple People-Eater Company, which shall go unnamed)… but I am truly blown away by this latest update. I’ve only just gotten it installed, and had to do a project with simple D.S al Coda repeats. I tried it with only a few minutes of video tutorial [no time for more, there’s work to be done]… it is a thing of beauty and joy, and absolute simplicity! Astonishing, to say the least. Bravo Daniel, and the whole team!

The Sib*** and Fin*** development teams must just hang their heads when an update like this comes out - there is no comparison. Drink up, boys! :smiley:

I purchased Sibelius 3 for Mac in 2000 and over the following years using each version up to Sibelius 7, notated hundreds of pages of choir music of all varieties. I loved the ability to learn and practice my baritone part both alone and in combination with other voices, and eventually studied harmony and began writing some of my own music, too. I was sickened when most members of the Sibelius team were suddenly out of work. However, this was indeed a blessing in disguise as it allowed the most accomplished team in the world to take their huge backlog of experience and start from scratch to write Dorico, which is quite beyond anything else out there and to once again host what is, in my opinion which I’m sure is shared by many, the best software support forum in the world. Congratulations, Daniel and the rest of the Dorico team (including Ulf and Lillie, who didn’t previously work for Avid and Sibelius, I believe)! It is a privilege to see you continuing to strive for and reach the best results possible.

You all deserve an avalanche of thanks for this update.

Bravi !

I’m so pleased with the trajectory you all have set. It’s not automatic, thanks for the hard work.

So, let me talk about the big elephant in the room: when is the next update coming? :smiley:

:wink:

Jokes aside, maybe we still get a bugfixing patch, but this was the last free update for Dorico (Pro) 2.
Dorico (Pro) 3 will be next, probably more than a few months away, and will be a paid next version.

Stuff hinted at that are in the works for that version is guitar stuff.

Great update! Thanks!

I’m not sure, if the next paid update will be Dorico 3. If you look at other Steinberg product, you always have a paid x.5 update between two major versions. It would be more Steinberg common, to get Dorico 2.5 next year.

Daniel’s given us an indication as to what happens next on his blog.

The new trill options with auxiliary notes and microtonal support are awesome! This feature alone beside all other new functions and bug fixes makes me very happy. Thanks to Daniel and team Dorico!

Oh, I missed that. Some time ago I have read somewhere, that Dorico will be updated in a similar timeline than other Steinberg products. My memory is getting old … :unamused:

Slightly late to this party, but, as the title says, wow. Flow headings came just in time for me as I’m redoing my teaching materials for next semester. No more positioning text frames by hand and worrying about matching font size and the like. An incredibly well-implemented feature.

I vividly remember when the Pro Tools-wannabe company purchased Sibelius from the Finns. The Sibelius users I knew at the time and I rolled our eyes sensing that nothing good would come of it down the road. What we didn’t foresee was the vision of Steinberg in hiring the best of the music notation development field and the creation of Dorico. What a spectacular point release! It is a pleasure and revelation following the development of the best notation program from its infancy through Daniel’s blog posts to the eventual release and its continuing development and maturity. Bravos upon bravos!(Any chance of guitar chord diagrams and tablature in the near future? That’s the only feature holding me back from using Dorico 100% of the time instead of 98%).

Though it’s not explicitly promised, there have been lots of rumblings about a guitar cornucopia coming in Dorico 3. The team has already begun working on it.

I imagine that, like any other field they’ve tackled, the functionality and options will be manifold.

My thinking is that the ultimate release plan for Dorico (all other things being equal) is to issue a major update in time to order before the start of each new school year and a .5 update more or less around Christmas and the start of second semesters in schools.

Just my hunch, no real info behind it except marketing instincts (which I make no real claim to :slight_smile: )

Yes, in version 3 which will be the next revision barring minor bug fixes. I quote from the penultimate paragraph of Daniel’s latest “Making Notes” blog post concerning version 2.2:

Dorico 2.2 is the final planned release in the Dorico 2.x series. Some work has already begun on the features that will form part of the next major release, and as usual we have ambitious plans for what comes next. We plan to tackle one of the last remaining areas where Dorico falls well short of its competitors, in the area of notation for guitar and other fretted instruments, and to bring you some truly unique features as well. I hope to be able to share some more details about what we’re working on in the early part of next year.

Great to hear. Thanks for pointing me to the blog post and the statement about guitar features in the next major release. My credit card is ready.