Dorico 2 doesn't respond at launch

It just hung on launch. I restarted it and the diagnostics are included here. I closed Dorico with the Task Manager, but even though I checked carefully there was no process called VSTAudioEngine2.

I hope this helps!

Alan Belkin
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (408 KB)

Firstly I see that you are still running Dorico 2.1. I strongly recommend updating to 2.1.10 as that includes many fixes.

On the occasion where it hangs, I can see that the very last thing it’s doing is activating a plugin from how it was saved last time. It appears to be NotePerformer. I’m not aware of any previously reported problems with NotePerformer hanging. There has just been an update to NotePerformer, so I would suggest updating that and Dorico and try again. If you still have problems then there are other things we can try.

Thank you. :slight_smile: I already updated to the new NotePerformer before the crash today. I just updated Dorico, so I will let you know if and when it hangs again.

I just updated Dorico and it promptly hung, as usual. Here is the latest diagnostic dump.
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (321 KB)

Thanks for the data. Again, the log files look identical.
There are no crash dump files contained in both diagnostic reports, which suggests that Dorico and the audio engine are still running, but deadlocked somehow.

The Windows Task Manager since Win10 does not show reliably the running processes anymore.
Would you please download the Process Explorer (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer)
and run that one when Dorico seems frozen.
Then right-click on the Dorico and VSTAudioEngine process and choose Create Dump > Create Minidump.
The dump files will give us a better clue of what is happening in the program.

I just started Dorico - it’s running at the moment - and opened Process Explorer. I don’t see Dorico at all. The only process from Steinberg is called SYNSOPOS. ???

2nd try: for some reason, the second time I launched Dorico, now it shows up in the list.

I just had a crash, and created the 2 dump files, together they are about 2 Gig. Where should I send them?

They should zip up to be much smaller. If they’re too large to email then do you have a dropbox account? Or use a service for sending large files such as https://wetransfer.com/

p dot walmsley at steinberg dot de

I just sent the two most recent crash dumps, zipped, to you via Dropbox. Also a copy to John Barron, since I had mentioned these crashes to him as well.

Thank you!

This appears to be a known problem that does affect some users, though currently we don’t know what the common factors are. I believe Ulf will be in touch with a custom build.

Ylf sent me a custom build, but it seems to be for Mac: it refuses to run, saying that it needs Quicktime!

Are you sure that’s Quicktime and not the Qt base (not the same thing) on which Dorico has been built?

If Ulf has sent you a Mac build, then obviously it won’t work on Windows, so you should email him back and tell him you need a Windows build. But don’t expect any reply until Monday, as it’s the weekend.

You may be right. All I know is that it gave a message that says “This application failed to start because no QT platform plugin could be initialized.” Then it refuses to go any farther. It also suggests reinstalling the app, which I have now done 3 times, but it makes no difference. No idea what to do about this… ???

I’ve sent a mail with new instructions.

Hello! I’m on a Mac (MacBook Air running v 10.14.1) with Dorico 2.2 (just upgraded). I have been having trouble getting Dorico to run a second time after logging in. Logging out and logging in allows the startup to work. Following this thread I opened the Activity Monitor (search for “Activity” in Spotlight Search) and searched for “VST” and found “VST Audio Engine” (spaces used not CamelText as mentioned in this thread) and killed it. This allowed Dorico to run correctly.

While I can use this workaround to get Dorico to run, I’m sure the developers would prefer to find a fix for this. How can I help?

You can indeed help - if you go to the Help menu and choose Create Diagnostic Report then that creates a file DoricoDiagnostics.zip on your desktop, which will include any crash reports (most likely Dorico crashed but left the audio engine running). Please attach that here.

I’m suspecting the Audio engine was still running from the previous version. I opened the Activity Monitor and killed the VST and did a logout and login.
I then applied the license I had purchased into the eLicenser application. The problem has not appeared again. I’m including the Dorico Diagnostics as requested.
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (457 KB)

I spoke too soon. Dorico wouldn’t restart without a logout and login today. This time the Activity Monitor didn’t show any VST activity. Here’s another Diagnostics report.
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (416 KB)

I have to have a deeper look when I’m back to the office tomorrow. Could also be that it is the same to what is discussed here: https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=246&t=149017
But have to find out more…