I’ve installed Dorico Pro 2 and HSSE 3 and restarted my computer (Windows 10, German). When I start Dorico, the start screen appears and some thing seem to start. After “Initializing Video Engine Controller” appears, the start screen disappears and nothing else happens. Any suggestions?
Can you take a look in %APPDATA%\Steinberg\Dorico 2 and see if there is an application.log file in there? If so, please zip it up and attach it here.
If it is the video engine that is failing to start, trying to update your graphics card drivers might be a good first step.
Updating the graphics driver helped. Thanks! Do you still want to see the log-files?
No, that’s fine. I’m glad you’re up and running now. Out of interest, what kind of graphics hardware do you have in your PC?
It’s an HP Notebook with
Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620 (probably the one for my second monitor)
NVIDIA GeForce MX150
Hi, at my office computer I’m sometimes unable to start Dorico. I click on the Dorico icon and … nothing. In task manager Dorico is there but zero CPU, no activity at all. I kill the process, try again and it’s the same. Restart solves this issue but that takes ages…
application log ends like
2019-03-27 15:24:48.555 : Initializing Application phase 1
2019-03-27 15:24:48.555 : Initializing ScoringApp phase1
2019-03-27 15:24:48.573 : Initializing ScoringApp phase 1…done
and that’s all …
I’ve found out when Dorico launches successfully there’s “Initializing Playback Controller” as a next step.
Any idea how to avoid restart when I encouter this? (a process to kill? btw. I don’t see any VST2 process now)
other (maybe) relevant information:
OS: Windows, I use usb e-licencer - and sometimes when I go home I unplug it while Dorico is still running and Dorico then freezes and later I have to kill its process - this might cause some trouble. And today - before I was unable to launch Dorico - I opened the project, Dorico started - tried to edit a note - and then Dorico became unresponsive - don’t know why (maybe it is to do with the usb licencer, yesterday I did that wrong thing with unplugging, and maybe it could be a faulty usb port?)
When “Initializing ScoringApp phase 1…done” is the final line in the application.log file, it certainly suggests a problem with the eLicenser. You should not ever remove the USB-eLicenser while Dorico or another application that uses the eLicenser is running: this is an unsupported action and you may well cause the application to crash. I imagine that when you do this, you’re leaving the VSTAudioEngine.exe process in a zombie state, and the eLicenser subsystem is likewise also very probably in a zombie state. You should certainly quit Dorico and any other eLicenser-protected applications before you unplug your USB-eLicenser if at all possible.
Thanks for the information. I’ll try not to forget to close Dorico before I unplug the USB-eLicenser.