Dorico 2 translated manuals published

Finalement, nous sommes ici.
Finalmente siamo qui.
翻訳されたマニュアルが利用できるようになりました
Endlich sind wir da.

I am very sehr très 非常に molto pleased to say that there are now published Dorico manuals in German, Japanese, French, and Italian!

Das deutsche Dorico-Handbuch wurde veröffentlicht
日本人 Dorico マニュアルが公開されました
Le manuel d’utilisation de Dorico a été publiée
Il manuale operativo di Dorico è stato pubblicato

(I think it’s likely my enthusiasm has already outweighed my linguistic ability, so I shall retreat to English from here on)

This has been a much longer journey than we anticipated, as many of you already know. Obviously, we had hoped and expected to publish fully translated manuals much, much sooner than this. A huge amount of things have been happening behind the scenes in order to reach this point, and a lot of people (in particular the Steinberg Manuals team) have been extremely dedicated in keeping it moving forwards.

I can only give my sincerest apologies once more for the delay - we know and feel very keenly that it ‘hasn’t been ideal’, to put it mildly. What we can say, though, is that looking optimistically forwards now, further updates/additions/developments in the manual will be translated much quicker now that this big chunk of work has been done. Translations of the Version 3 manual are already in progress.

Please do share this good news with friends and colleagues who would prefer to use one of these translated manuals!

And also please do pass on any feedback about the translations/translated manuals - we will always appreciate insights from those very familiar with both Dorico and the respective language.

Links for the different languages and versions are below:

:wink: Thanks Lillie

Every news Is a good news! Thank you for this!!!

Great news ! I think it’s time for France to really discover Dorico now !

Perhaps this notice should be pinned at the top of the thread list.

On time like a German ICE high speed train!

Oh wait!! :open_mouth:

:slight_smile:

That’s a joy to read, thank you! (Dorico enthusiast from day one here.)

While reading the german translation, this is what I found so far:

1. on page 21, To add a Soloplayer, it is written:
  1. Geben Sie im Suchfeld der Instrumentauswahl Klavier ein.

Even when your default language in Dorico is german you have to type “piano” instead of “klavier” because there is no such instrument.

1. on page 29 as an example for a Dorico-Project it is written:

Zum Beispiel können Sie ein einzelnes Projekt erstellen, dass alle Auftakte und Fugen aus Bachs »Das Wohltemperierte Klavier« als separate Partien enthält.

“…alle Auftakte und Fugen aus Bachs »Das Wohltemperierte Klavier«” - this sounds quite funny. The first meaning that comes in mind with the german term “Auftakt” is the english “upbeat”. Much better would be “Alle Präludien und Fugen…”.

This one’s confusing. If you have Engraving Options > Language > Instrument names set to German, then there is “such instrument”, regardless of what language Dorico is set to run in.

Pianoleo, thank you for pointing this out! I wasn’t aware of this language tab in engraving options…a reason to read on.

Without wishing to be provocative, I feel I do need to point out that this is all alarmingly poor English.

Without wishing to be provocative, you just bumped the thread by deleting your post and then reposting exactly the same message, with a later time stamp.

What a valuable contribution you make to this forum…

Is it possible to delete one’s own post? I don’t know. Someone deleted it (Daniel? - he was here at the time); I considered it a reasonable comment and have chosen to submit it again.

If you think it’s OK that one of the two people credited with responsibility for the documentation is writing so poorly, then I don’t really know what to say.

Would you think it unremarkable if one of the developers posted some poorly written code or if someone responsible for the notation were confused about basic terminology?

Is it not in everyone’s interests that Lillie should write competently? Why does she need your protection?

I don’t think any software company needs Margaret Atwood as their technical writer; they need people who can convey relevant information succinctly, in the company’s house style. Did Lillie’s message convey what she wanted it to convey? I expect so. Did Lillie’s message match the conversational tone of this forum? I believe so.

Why complain? What do you hope to achieve? Wouldn’t you prefer that the person tasked with writing the manual actually spent their time crafting the manual, rather than agonising over forum posts?

Given that Lillie was posting here in her professional capacity, I’d expect professional standards.

Did Lillie’s message convey what she wanted it to convey?

No. That’s the whole point. A message was posted to suggest that good progress was being made with the production of the documentation but the way it was written undermined that purpose.

I wouldn’t expect a technical writer to have to “agonise” over anything in a statement of this simplicity and there’s never any excuse for writing something as discordant as “A huge amount of things”.

As I say, I don’t know why you’ve felt a need to try to defend Lillie but we’ve probably both got better things to do than continue this discussion.

The only person who knows what Lillie wanted to convey is, presumably, Lillie.

Unless you claim omniscience - which is a common delusion of internet trolls, of course.

Perhaps you think there is great depth to Lillie’s announcement. It seems self-explanatory to me.

All I’ve been saying is that it was pretty clumsily written; suprisingly so for one of the Dorico team’s technical writers.

If you think that’s unreasonable and that it’s worth continuing this discussion, then do explain. Resorting to abuse seems a bit unnecessary.

tristis, this is a quite conversational forum. Colloquial language is fine. Not sure why you felt the need.

If you know of grammatical errors in the online manual, I’m sure the team would be glad to know of them so they can be corrected.

Possibly a bit too close-knit in my opinion. Not you though: I respect the way you identify shortcomings and suggest improvements. A few others are too uncritical.

Not sure why you felt the need.

Possibly a weakness on my part.

tristis, when you mention the poor English, are you talking about the announcement or the manual too? I can’t judge the quality of the English in the announcement (my mother language is German), but it all makes sense to me. So, if it is only the announcement you are referring to: can you distinguish between the language used in forum posts and the language used in manuals and printed matters? I kinda symphatize with your point of asking for a correct way of expressing. It seems that one gets used to the sloppiness used in Emails, WhatsApp and forum messages, but i wonder whether the message from Lillie belongs to that category?

I don’t know if I was right to say anything. i don’t know Lillie; I’ve got nothing against her.

I was just struck by the clumsiness and the errors within the announcement. Such things are common enough in today’s communications (in the UK we now have a generation of teachers that were not taught well themselves) but they seemed odd coming from someone employed as a writer.

Having felt obliged to write something, I should probably have used a bit of humour. Hopefully I won’t be barred.