Dorico 3.1 Instrument names german

Hello, after just having updated to version 3.1 (thank you) I am working on a piece by Eisler with german instrument names. So instead of renaming all instruments in Setup Mode I decided to change the language of the instrument names from english to german in the Engraving Options (before adding new instruments). What a mess!! This is hardly usable at all! I could not set up a Klarinette in Bb (Clarinet in B) nor could I find a simple Horn in F. What is going on there? Why have heaps of wrong and bad translations instead of no translations at all? I don’t understand. Why so little care on these really basic things? Or do I have my system totally messed up?

1 Like

We are aware of problems with translations for the transpositions of instrument names in German, of course, which are long-standing and need to be fixed. But I’m not aware of lots of translation errors in the names of the instruments themselves. Do you have any specific examples?

Daniel,
as an example I could not find a simple Contrabass/Double Bass, (in German „Kontrabaß“). I had to choose one of the Double Bass variants and ended up with a bass guitar…
I tried to set up a „Klarinette in Bb“ (or „Klarinette in B“ - in German it is commonly called „B-Klarinette“).
I only found „Clarinet (H Be)“ which is the weirdest thing I have ever seen :slight_smile:
Same for „Horn in F“, it does not exist in this simple form.
May be translation problems arise if an instrument is notated transposed - and Dorico with best intention tries to combine pure text translation with a function.

1 Like

k_b,
I cannot confirm your bad experience with instrument names in German. Maybe things are messed up when you run Dorico with the main language set to Englisch and the instrument names set to German.
I’m using Dorico with the main language set to German and the Instrument names set to German. I can easily add players named “Bb Klarinette”, “F Horn” or “Kontrabass”.
In layout names the transposition is “wrong”: Klarinette (B Be) should be “Klarinette in Bb” or “Bb Klarinette” (b = flat symbol).

As the setting for instrument names is located in Engraving Options I have to choose “German” for every single new document. Perhaps there should be a global setting for the default instrument names language.

Thomas

Thomas, you could save your Engraving Options as default, couldn’t you?

How could I forget this? Thank you for reminding me, Leo.

Thomas

Thomas,
which publisher uses flat or sharp sign with German instrument names? If you look at classical scores from, Beethoven, Bruckner, Mahler, Mendelssohn and others, you will find “Klarinette in B”, “Horn in Es” etc.
That’s what I would like to write Dorico by default with German instrument names.

Additional information: In Japanese convention regarding orchestral sheet music, they prefer German standards in lieu of the US / Canada / UK / Australian one. However, vice versa in Jazz / Pop / Rock music areas.

1 Like

you are right, SikiSuen.

I have a similar problem but in Spanish. I want to write Clarinet (B flat) in Spanish. So, in Setup mode, I edited the player’s name. The name in the score continues to be in English. So I go to Engraving options and set instruments’ names to Spanish. I still get the English Bb in the names, although I could edit Clarinet to Clarinete. To finally be able to write ‘Clarinete (si bemol)’ I had to go to setup, click each player, then click the instrument name below, click the small arrow that opens a menu and select Edit names… THEN set Show Transposition to none and write everything in the instrument name.

Is there another way to do it? Am I missing something?

Transpositions in staff labels is a Layout Option. Turn it off there rather than for each individual instrument.

As to renaming instruments, it’s the instrument you’d need to rename, not the player. Changing the language in Engraving Options will affect newly created instruments but not ones that already exist in the project, but you can manually reset existing instrument names.