Dorico 3.1 not finding working Kontakt 5

I was able to make kontakt appear again by reinstalling the 3.1 version from scratch. Before that, I did get this in Play:
Screen Shot 2020-01-23 at 17.44.32.png
I never had seen that before, maybe this gives a clue on what was going on?

Things are working fine again now, thanks, Ulf.

This just shows that the project references Kontakt 5 but it can’t be loaded. Prior to Dorico 3.1 I think it just showed as blank.

Glad to hear that it is working again.
Though it should be all rational, but even in computer science there is quite often mystery to why it sometimes works and sometimes not. But now it’s doing again, let’s hope it stay that way. :slight_smile:

Not sure if I should post here, or create a new thread. But I went through and deleted Kontakt Player 4 and Kontakt Player 5 from my Mac as I have Kontakt Player 6 now installed.

Dorico does not recognize KP6. I added it to the VST2 whitelist with just the name ‘Kontakt’ as NI seems to have dropped using numbers.

Dorico still does not see KP6, and anything related to Kontakt is not available from the drop down menu.
Screen Shot 2020-01-26 at 12.31.24 PM.png
Any thoughts? Here is the VST folder.

Here is the whitelist.

Robby

Hi Robby, could you please post a diagnostics report (Help > Create Diagnostics Report), from that I can see most. I assume your Kontakt 6 went onto the blacklist.
Try deleting /Users//Library/Preferences/VstAudioEngine3/VST2PluginsBlacklist.xml (path and filename just out of my head, will not be 100% correct).
If you then restart Dorico, does Kontakt then turn up?

Ulf,

I tried deleting the file you mentioned (found something similar). Deleted it, KP6 was still not in the list of available VSTs. And the file has been remade.

Here is the diagnostics report. Hope it is correct, as Dorico seems to just over write the existing one?

Robby
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (311 KB)

Hi Robby,
yes, the file gets automatically recreated, but it is “empty”, that means no plug-in got blacklisted, which is good.
However, from the diagnostics I can see that your whitelist only has these entries:
ARIA Player VST Multi
ARIA Player VST
Kontakt 5
Kontakt 5 16out

So for Kontakt 6 you have to add a new item and in that case only ‘Kontakt’, no numbers. Native dropped the numbers in the file name since version 6.
Do edit your whitelist, restart Dorico and it shall appear.

That’s weird, because here is what my whitelist looks like:

I edited this list 4 days ago. Where the folder located? Maybe I edited something for Dorico 2, that version 3 doesn’t see?

Robby

Ok, I found one vst2whitelist under ~/Library/Preferences/VSTAudioEngine. I edited that one.

I found another vst2whitelist, in the VSTAudioEngine2 folder. I changed that one as well. Both caused no changed.

I found another vst2whitelist, in the VSTAudioEngine3 folder. I changed that one, and now I show Kontakt in the VST menu in Play Mode in Dorico.

Am I supposed to have those 3 different folders?

Robby

One version is likely the default whitelist so you can return to it if all else goes haywire. Another would be the User whitelist that Dorico consults first. The third? No idea. Which is which? Not sure, since I am primarily a Windows user.

HI Robby.

I have Dorico 3.1 and the same three whitelists in the same locations. The Modified dates for the whitelists are April 2018 for /VSTAudioEngine, May 2019 for /VSTAudioEngine2 and October 2019 for /VSTAudioEngine3. The datestamps for all the other files, including the Logs, in the 3 locations suggest that both /VSTSAudioEngine and /VSTSAudioEngine2 are no longer in use.

That’s right what David says. The other folders are from earlier versions you had installed and are longer used, unless you still have Dorico 1 or 2 installed and sometimes use.
Regarding the whitelist editing, that became much easier in the meantime. In the Dorico Preferences on the Play tab is a dedicated button now. If you press that one, an editor window opens with the correct file opened, so there is no need to search for it anymore.

Ok, thanks for the info about the preferences. I’ll keep that in mind for the future.

Thanks for your help!

Robby