Dorico 3.5.10 Defect: Moving lyrics with a note stem included in selection causes immediate crash

Problem: If a selection of lyrics also includes a note stem, using keyboard commands (alt/option down arrow) causes an immediate crash of the application.

The defect can be shown–repeatably–in the attached Dorico 3.5.10 project. A screen shot showing lyrics and a note stem selected is also attached.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create a score with two or more lines of lyrics.
  2. Adjust the height of a system in Engraving mode.
  3. Select, using range select, the lyrics in that system, to adjust the lyrics vertical spacing.
  4. Include a note stem in your selection (you wouldn’t do this intentionally–but it’s easy to do)
  5. Hold down the Alt key, and press the Down arrow.
  6. Dorico immediately crashes–no error message, no dialog.

Workaround #1:
Do not use range select, unless you absolutely have to. Click just to the left of the first character of each line, holding down the Ctrl key to select multiple lines.

Workaround #2:
Use range select, but use Edit | Filter | Lyrics | All Lyrics to remove note stems from selection.

Either workaround avoids the problem–but that’s no help to the end user who is not aware of the problem beforehand, and sees Dorico (with every project he or she has open) suddenly disappear from the screen.

(Daniel: we discussed a similar situation a few years ago, with a different software application. This is what I would term a “hard crash.”)

2021-01-03 Liturgy (Shows lyric selection defect).dorico (737.5 KB)

The example shown in the screen capture is the third system on page 2.

Just a side note to sat that I work with nudging lyrics constantly, and I find it easiest to use “Select More”
(Ctrl-Shift-A).

I’m not able to reproduce the crash on my machine using your same steps. Can you share your crash logs here? I’m assuming the team will want those.

Edit: I should have clarified: I couldn’t replicate the crash using your steps in my files. I hadn’t tried yours.

I was able to cause a crash just as the OP described. I could nudge L/R but not up and down. Diagnostics file attached.Dorico Diagnostics.zip (1.3 MB)

Thanks for reporting this, John. I can reproduce the problem, and we’ll make sure it gets fixed in a future version.

1 Like