Dorico 3.5.10 Engrave Music Symbols causes Dorico to crash

When trying to go to -Engrave>Music Symbols- or -Engrave>Chord Diagrams-, Dorico 3.5.10 just stops responding.
Diagnostic report attached.
Other menues under -Engrave- work fine.
All help very much appreciated
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (1.9 MB)

Unfortunately the diagnostics won’t help us in the event that you force quit the application. Can you please try two things? Firstly, after making the application hang, please run Activity Monitor, select the “Dorico” process, and then choose Sample Process from the little cog menu in the top left corner of the window. Zip up the resulting file and attach it here.

Secondly, please try going to /Users/your-username/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Dorico 3.5 and if you have a file in there called userlibrary.xml, please try temporarily moving it aside, then run Dorico again and see whether the hang is now gone. If it is, please zip up the userlibrary.xml file and attach that here.

Unable to do this.
I’m running Windows 10, I think maybe the Activity Monitor is a Mac feature?
Managed to find userlibrary.xml in C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Dorico 3.5 and move it aside.
Did not make any difference. The file is only 7kb. its zipped and attached
userlibrary.zip (1.49 KB)

please run Activity Monitor, select the “Dorico” process, and then choose Sample Process from the little cog menu

Any news on this problem, Daniel?

Please don’t bump threads. I’m sorry that I’ve not yet had a chance to look into this, but I will try to do so today.

Your userlibrary.xml file looks inoccuous, and I don’t think that can be the cause of the problem. Could you please follow the steps outlined by Paul in this earlier post, and run Process Explorer, then take a sample of Dorico immediately after you try to open one of the dialogs that causes the hang, then provide a link to the log file (which you should zip up, because it’ll be big)?

Thanks Daniel.
Here is a link to the zipped dump file:

Thanks – I’ll need one of my more knowledgeable colleagues to take a look, which I will ask them to do on Monday.

Paul has taken a look at these files, and unfortunately it doesn’t appear that Dorico is hanging at all! I have a feeling that the windows are opening, but they’re somehow opening off-screen and you can’t see them.

Can you please try quitting Dorico, then finding the file com.steinberg.dialogGeometry.plist in /Users/your-username/Library/Preferences, and deleting that file, then try running Dorico again and see if those dialogs now appear as you expect?

Oh dear!
How stupid I feel now.
The windows were indeed opening on my second screen, which I usually don’t have turned on when using Dorico.
Seems that sometime in the past I’ve moved these two windows to the second screen and then forgot about it.
Turning on the second screen revealed the mystery of the lost windows.
I can now happily go about editing music symbols and chord diagrams :slight_smile:
Thank you so much for your patience and helpfulness.

I’m glad it was something simple in the end!