Dorico 3.5 - issues with Mixer

You can put your file into a Dropbox-like account and then post a link.

Link attached.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Ijh3UHrWw33qajlMemU98zYOzoPB2G9H
Witold

That’s a very strange problem that I haven’t seen before, and I don’t think I’ve ever heard any reports of this before. The slow update of the VU meters suggests that the update messages aren’t getting through quickly enough. Does this happen with HSSE as well, or just BBCSO? Does it happen if you have a minimal project that uses BBCSO or only with a large project? What’s your audio engine buffer size? If you increase the size does that help?

Hi Paul,
I do not use HSSE. I have dedicated libraries from other producers like EWQL, AudioBro etc, but I may try to replicate the situation with HSSE as well. I will try to do the other experiments you mention as soon as possible, but I am in the middle of an urgent project, so it may take a while before I will post the answers.
Witold

Paul,
Sorry for coming back to the subject, but there must be something more to this trouble with Mixer. I have been working today some 2 hours on the project that has the config shown in the film you have seen and spent more than half of my time in restarting Dorico. All below cases were with Mixer window open.

1. after saving the score I hit the note I wanted to begin playback from and Dorico hung. Force quit and Dorico restart had to be done.
  2. When I touched the fader for film audio to lower its level Dorico hung. Force quit and Dorico restart had to be done.
  3. So after restart I first changed the volume of film audio and metronome click and Dorico became unresponsive. No input from keyboard or mouse would make any reaction. Again force quit and restart
  4. I activated control surface connected to Dorico in order to manually control instruments. Dorico hangs immediately. Force quit has been done, but relaunching Dorico was not possible, I had to reboot the computer.
    Then I closed the Mixer and could continue working.
    A question: sometimes when I modify dynamics (f.e. cresc to ff and then decresc and I modify ff to mp) or copy-paste dynamic from other instrument it is not being read (I can see no changes applied in Play mode), so I have to delete all and put it afresh. Am I doing things wrong?
    Witold

Please do Help > Create Diagnostic Report so that we can take a look at the application logs to see what is actually happening when Dorico is hanging. I would be surprised if the hang is specifically related to the Mixer itself being open, but Paul will be able to say with greater certainty than I can.

Didn’t we discover in a previous thread that when Dorico appears to hang, it was actually the BBCSO Plugin taking a long time to load data, and so when Dorico tries to save or auto-save, the plugin was preventing it because it was still loading? Try increasing the auto-save interval.
As Daniel says, I would be very surprised if the mixer itself was causing the problems.

Also, when you next experience a hang like this, please make a note of the current time, as it takes a long time to dig through the diagnostic report if I don’t know what I’m looking for.

I will. I only signal the possible link between Mixer problems and what I experience.
Witold

No, these hangs happened long time after the library was loaded and used. Attached is the diagnostic report.
Witold
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (2.6 MB)

I can see that the BBCSO plugin has crashed a number of times, and every time it does, it is likely to cause Dorico to hang or crash. I would suggest checking that the plugin is up to date and reporting the crash to Spitfire.

I have just received an announcement about coming update of BBC SO. Let’s see if that improves the situation.
Thanks
Witold

Hi,
I have updated BBCSO and did not find any difference, except, perhaps, that it gives the perception of loading even slower.
Changing subject to another technical mystery. I have finished composing the music for the attached video and decided to export to Cubase individual players’ audio. I got all the instruments but in every track the audio from the movie was mixed in. This video audio obviously was not on the list of players so I could not deactivate it and I naturally took for granted that it will not be exported.
To remedy this situation I temporarily detached the video, did the export and re-attached the video after, but this is a workaround, not a solution. Any suggestion/recommendation here will be appreciated.
Witold

Does the video sound track show up in the Dorico Mixer, where you could mute that track?

Yes. I am not sure if muting applies also to export, but generally, yes. Once I have more time I will check this option. In case of this project such an experiment is time consuming, long loading time and also long export time. I am probably making an error of extrapolating Cubase functionalities and their logic on Dorico.
Nonetheless, thanks for your advice.
Witold

yes, that’s correct. I thought I read somewhere that the slots are reordered when the project is closed and then reloaded but this doesn’t seem to be the case so I’m left with slots in a strange order including a few empties. This is particularly a problem with the BBC because it’s not multi-timbral. Is there some hope for a more elegant solution before too long? I understand it doesn’t materially affect playback but still…

Aha!! I’m not crazy! (Well on second thought…) Good to know that there is reason I can sometimes delete and sometimes not.

Paul,
The new problem is not related to BBCSO but to hanging. I open project, work on it then take a break. Screensaver kicks in, I return, activate screen and Dorico is in beach ball state, reacting to nothing, what leaves me with force quit option only. Any idea what is causing it?
Witold

If the beachball is showing that means that Dorico or the audio engine are hanging. We know of some problems inside the BBCSO plugin that cause hangs, and we’re talking to Spitfire about those at the moment, so it’s possible this could be the same problem.

To get more information about this, when you experience the beachball, open
Activity Monitor and click on the little cog-wheel at the top of the window, a pop-up menu appears from where you choose ‘Spindump’. You can then attach that here.
Save the output of the Spindump window, zip it up and attach here.

Thank you very much, Paul.
For the time being I just turned off the screen saver to be able to to work. But once I have some spare time I will do as you recommend.
I suspect you may slowly be getting tired of my continuous posts, but as long as this very good concept of Dorico graces me with hiccups in the middle of my work these post will continue coming.
So next hiccup is playback with open Mixer. Mixer closed, Dorico in Write mode and playback goes normally. I open Mixer and hitting P or space moves playhead one note (or grid position) and that is it. To make playback continue I have to hit ->. Closing Mixer puts everything back to normal. Any idea what causes it?
Witold

This could be a problem with the mixer not passing key commands to the main window. If you click on the main Dorico window first, then press space or P, then is it ok?