[Dorico 3.5] Not a typical no playback sound situation and self-discovered workaround

Dear Dorico Team,

This is a situation of no playback sound involving Synchron Player and Vienna Ensemble. When I started working on this project, the playback were working fine. On one occasion, the playback started to fail when I started to load the saved file. When I opened up the individual VSTs to check, I could get sound from their built-in keyboard.

Out of the frustration, I opened up another new file. In this new file, I had one instrument. As you might have imaged that with this new file, the new VST setup was with Halion SE. At this point, I did not close the project file that had this issue. I discovered that when I closed the new file and switched back to the project, all the VST plugins were reloaded and the playback worked.

For experimentation, I added in additional Halion 6 and Halion SE plugins to this project file, saved the project file, closed it and relaunched Dorico with the project file again. The situation was similar. I couldn’t get playback sound and repeating the ‘new file’ strategy worked. Since then, this has become my workaround for this project.

I hope that this information might be useful for the development team.
Thank you.

Here is my computer specification, if this might be useful:
Dorico Version: 3.5.11.1054
Audio Interface: Steinberg RT4
PC: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1900X 8-Core Processor 3.80 GHz
Installed: RAM 32 GB
System type:64-bit OS, x64-based processor

Regards,

Jason Chuang

Hi Jason, would you be able to share one of the non-sounding project files with us? If you don’t want to post it here publicly, you could send it to ‘u dot stoermer at steinberg dot de’; full confidentiality guaranteed. Thanks

Switching documents reloads all the samples. Closing and re-opening would also work, I presume, without having to create a new document.