Dorico 3 - A Few Questions from a New User

Hi all!

I’m new to Dorico, so I apologize if these questions have been covered many times already. I have been looking for answers to them in the manual, Youtube and the forum without a concrete answer, so hopefully you can help me. Here we go:

1. Is there an option to adjust the HORIZONTAL placement of Tempo Markings like you can vertically? I would like for them to be placed somewhere above the Clef sign, if not slightly before it. I already went to Engrave > Engraving Options > Tempo, but maybe I missed it. I’m looking for a solution that translates to the individuals parts since I want to use this project as a template for future ones. Or is manually moving them in Engrave mode the only way to achieve this precise placement?

2. I’m using Superior Drummer 3 for Drums playback and it’s mostly working the way I want it. However, I’m having trouble figuring out how to replace a Closed Hi-Hat sound for another (one that’s slightly more open sounding). As you may or may not know, Superior Drummer 3 has varying degrees of Open and Closed Hi-Hat sounds so it would be awesome if I could replace a playing style for another, or change the MIDI note that triggers the sound in Dorico’s Percussion Map. Sure! I could change it in Superior Drummer 3, but I would like to avoid that solution since I want to keep all of the drum articulation mapping in SD3 intact.

3. Is there really not a way to globally adjust velocities in Dorico? I can select a bunch of notes but it only changes the velocity of one note (rather than the velocities of ALL selected notes) as soon as I start moving the velocity bars. According to what I’ve read online this is not yet possible. Is it true? If so, are there any work-arounds? The only thing I can think of is maybe globally adjusting all velocities to be the same and then apply Humanizing. I haven’t tried it yet, but theoretically this should work, yes?

4. Finally, are all the Engraving and Setup Options saved on a per project basis (unless I press the “Set as Default” button on EACH category)? Is that how Dorico works? Hopefully you just press “Set as Default” (or whatever it says) once and it stores all the options globally.

I may have other questions, but these are enough for now. Honestly I thought Dorico would be easier (more intuitive) to use, though I can see the benefits of it once I get past the initial learning curve. Of course I knew there would be a learning curve, I just find it is steeper than expected :slight_smile:.

Thanks!!

1. See this thread: https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=151624

Thanks Andgle!

I will look into which of the two solutions offered is best later.

However, it’s a bit disheartening to see Daniel’s response when presented with legit examples of this tempo marking placement convention. Yes, in my mind (coming from more of a Jazz and popular music, rather than Classical background) this is the convention for the first tempo mark. Rather than mocking it, why not give the users options. If I want to make MY scores look “less refined”, so be it :slight_smile:.

1. Layout Options control each Layout, unsurprisingly. So different Layouts can have different page sizes, staff sizes, etc, etc.
    Engraving Options affect the entire document, so that the entire document looks consistent.
    Notation Options affect each Flow, allowing you to do things like change beaming rules for different sections of music. You can select all Flows at once and change the settings in one go.

You can Save your own defaults, once you have everything as you like it, and they will apply to all new documents, and can be loaded into existing ones.

As I’ve said before, adding options is not a zero-cost endeavour. Every option takes time to implement, test, document, localise, and then adds to the maintenance burden of the software forever. That’s only the burden on the developer’s side: there is also a cost to the user, with the software becoming more complex and harder to understand. Of course, there is also a benefit: that whichever constituency of the user base gets the behaviour they are looking for, So we try to be selective and focused in the options that we add, balancing these competing factors against each other. I very rarely respond to a suggestion to say that we will never do something, but at the same time we are not going to jump on every request and implement it immediately.

So to give further answers to your questions:

1. No, there’s no way to do this, and no current plans, though I don’t rule it out forever.

2. You should be able to edit the percussion map you’re using so that the Closed playing technique for hi-hat triggers the pitch you prefer in Superior Drummer 3.

3. You can use the line tool to draw a straight line across the velocity bars, but I agree this is not ideal, and we’ll try to improve this in future.

4. When you click ‘Save as Default’ in one of the options dialogs, all of the settings across all pages of the dialog are saved, so you do not need to click the button for each category or page separately.

Of course! I understand the implications, and BTW, I do admire the pace at which you guys have advanced Dorico from its early beginnings. I’ve been following its development from the moment you guys started blogging about it, so I’m a big fan! I just found the way you answer that user’s request, who had taken the time to show you several examples of music displaying the placement of tempo marks upon your request, disheartening since I don’t think this is much different than the positioning options you already offer in Dorico for other items in a score. Also, due to the fact that this is actually a convention in popular music. It should be considered more seriously, IMO.

So to give further answers to your questions:

1. No, there’s no way to do this, and no current plans, though I don’t rule it out forever.

I’ll take a sliver of hope :slight_smile:.

1. You should be able to edit the percussion map you’re using so that the Closed playing technique for hi-hat triggers the pitch you prefer in Superior Drummer 3.

How? I tried editing the MIDI note number (found on the far left column) in the Percussion Map but it wouldn’t let me. It should be that simple. The only way I can think of is by adding it manually, which is fine but again it should be simpler. Or am I missing something?

1. You can use the line tool to draw a straight line across the velocity bars, but I agree this is not ideal, and we’ll try to improve this in future.

Thanks! Looking forward to this improvement. Would my method work though (applying the same velocity across all notes and then humanizing their velocities or does humanizing only affect the timing)?

1. When you click ‘Save as Default’ in one of the options dialogs, all of the settings across all pages of the dialog are saved, so you do not need to click the button for each category or page separately.

Awesome! I really appreciate you taking the time to reply my questions. Thank you!

You can’t edit the note number directly: instead, click the button in the action bar to show all MIDI note numbers, not only those that are currently in use, and then define a new entry for hi-hat with the closed technique in the appropriate row, and then remove the old row.

Right. That’s what I meant about entering it manually. It’s ok, not a big deal (though, like I said, it would be much simpler to just edit the MIDI note number).

Thanks again!!