Dorico 3 and Note Performer

“It was tested”? Hmm, do you work for Steinberg or are you just guessing? If Steinberg is going to release a new upgrade, it’s their responsibility to reach out to their partners to make sure they can support their new product, so let’s not make NP a scapegoat. It’s Dorico’s upgrade, not NP’s.

I’m going to go with C: None of the above.

I have a very simple question:

On Windows 10, I cannot find the folder %PROGRAMDATA%\Steinberg\Dorico 3. I don’t even understand how to navigate to %PROGRAMDATA%. Help?

In the Windows Explorer address bar, simply copy and paste in %PROGRAMDATA%\Steinberg.

I have inserted the files, have restarted the system, and I’m no longer getting error messages about the NotePerformer template. However, it still hangs up once I press play. Any tips?

Try setting your template to Silence, then back to NP.

I tried a few things.

I tried the Silence, but to no avail. Hung.

I tried restarting, re-installing NP, and re-restart. No avail. Hung.

Not sure what to do at this point.

After updating the expression map, I changed the sample rate from 48000 to 44100. Now NP works fine!

Well, I’ve done this (on Mac), and now although Note Performer is now showing up in the list of available sets under the Playback Template, it still isn’t playing. Unfortunately after choosing HSSO+HSO option (or any of the others) this isn’t playing either. The correct patch is loading into the correct slot and nothing appears to be muted. THis problem also occurs in other files that use different instruments. A real head scratcher!

Hmm. I no longer even have an option for 44100 which I do on Dorico 2 and that is the setting there.

Hmm. I no longer even have an option for 44100 which I do on Dorico 2 and that is the setting there.

I think this thread has it covered, but for reference, what’s happened here is that Dorico 3 changed the format and location of user expression maps.

So while NotePerformer installs maps and templates according to Dorico 2’s specifications, these are folders which Dorico 3 no longer imports from. And there are also some modifications to the format.

Unfortunately we learned about this change, and the subsequent Dorico 3 release, only this summer. So we couldn’t build these changes into a previous NotePerformer release.

I knew that Dorico would change the format sooner or later, as Steinberg granted us access to the template functionality at a very early stage of development. I’ve been secretly hoping that maybe there would be a grace period, where also the older style maps worked (e.g. supporting both the old and new variant in Dorico 3, dropping the old format with Dorico 4). Then again, that would add complexity to Dorico, and there could be technical reasons why that’s not possible without major rewrites.

Nevertheless, I’ll make sure NotePerformer 3.3 adds native Dorico 3 support. It’s in the pipeline now.

Dan Kreider was correct: neither.

But if you think that none of the beta testers of Dorico 3 also used NotePerformer and wanted to use it right from the very first beta release, I guess you have a pretty poor opinion of how Steinberg organizes beta testing.

And IIRC Daniel used NotePerformer in his intro of Dorico 3 yesterday, so the Team was certainly not oblivious to how they could work together.

I, too, do not have an option for 441. I only have the 48000.

Merci beaucoup pour le conseil! Ça marche parfaitement chez moi!

Thanks a lot for the advice! It works perfectly at home!