Dorico 3 and Note Performer

Hi Daniel,
Would you be able to comment on improvements that took place in development of Dorico 3 and perhaps Wallander to address missing articulations (Dorico Pro 2.x had 44 articulations as opposed to Sibelius having 50 articulations) as well as the “known issues in Dorico” outlined at the bottom of below webpage in Note Performer website?

Many composers are mostly focusing on additional tools to speed up writing stuff in Dorico and they just pass their sheet music to musicians to play, rather than some composers like to have a lot of those articulations being playable within the application, because the work flow for them is to just simply hand in a finished music track to the audio post facility to do overall mix. Supporting playable articulations (especially the jazz articulations) is very crucial for some composers. If Dorico 3 is not there yet to play back jazz articulations, is there any comment you can make to see if there will be development as part of Dorico 3 to address this issue or it would fall into Dorico 4, etc!

Thanks a lot,

Arya44

There are no significant changes in the NotePerformer articulations supported by Dorico 3 over and above those that were supported in Dorico 2.2.20. There will of course be future development in this area and we are doing everything practical to ensure the best integration possible with NotePerformer.

That Would be great!!!

Is it yet possible to edit the note velocities with Note Performer? I haven’t managed to get it to work - I can make an edit, but the playback is still the same.

If it works for somebody else, please let me know!

This is because NotePerformer doesn’t use note velocities to control the dynamics.

I have had difficulty manually installing the Noteperformer playback template. I have tried following Daniel’s ‘Windows’ instructions dated 6th September. Firstly I don’t appear to have a %PROGRAMDATA%\ Steinberg folder but have a ProgramFiles\Steinberg folder. Secondly, the Windows 10 operating system does not allows me to copy the Dorici 3.zip file into the folder.

I must be missing something. Advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks

If you type %PROGRAMDATA% into the Explorer bar then it should usually expand to c:\ProgramData . If you don’t have a Steinberg folder in there then you’ll need to create it. If you don’t have permission by default then you will need to run either Explorer as Administrator or just OK the message box with the shield that comes up when you try to create a new folder in a protected area

Thanks for your reply
The solution is that ‘programdata’ is a hidden folder in Windows 10 and one needs to go to ‘View’ in’ File Explorer’ and tick the ‘Hidden items’ box.

I wrote to Arne asking this question and he was kind enough to respond. He said it was fine to post that response here.

Question from me:

Using Dorico 3 -

question is…
I’d like to give performance cues to bring out a melodic line and push harmony lines into the background - that a human would understand by knowing the music… but that aren’t explicit in the score as dynamics (it would require micro-managing )…

I thought to be able to do that using Velocity settings in the playback mode.

Does Noteperformer currently respond to velocity settings?

If not, Is there any future plan to do so?

Response from Arne:

Most instruments in NotePerformer don’t use note velocity, but a
continuous controller (expression) for dynamics. Unfortunately you
cannot override this manually, or at least not easily, because it will
conflict with the internal expression setting of Dorico.

In Sibelius there’s a way to override the dynamics in a
controller-agnostic fashion (Live Playback). Hopefully Dorico will
support such a feature as well in the future.

Meanwhile, the only way I can think of would be to use multiple
dynamics markers. One for playback, and one for print. You can
suppress playback for a dynamic that’s to be shown in print, and have
another dynamic for playback only, that’s transparent in color.
There’s no way to easily hide it, other than changing the color, that
I know of.

\

End Response

I’d really love to be able to give performance hints in the playback area.
Is there thought to being able to manage the “continuous controller” dynamics in the future?

I absolutely love Dorico 3 - and Noteperformer -

thanks for doing what you do.

Jack

Yes, Jack, it is our intention that in a future version of Dorico you should be able to adjust the dynamics in Play mode in a more abstract way than either by changing a MIDI controller or by editing the velocity, so that Dorico can translate those instructions into the appropriate method of controlling dynamics for the specific playback device you’re using. This is not yet possible, but will be in the future.