Dorico 3 Audio Engine Process

Hi, Im using a Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6 and have been running Dorico 3 for the past few months. When I try to open Dorico now the message: audio process engine died, keeps coming up. I did see others having this issue in the forum but I didn’t see any topics with the same Mac setup and Dorico version. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, sorry to hear that. Please do ‘Help > Create Diagnostics Report’ which creates a zip file on your desktop. Please send it to ‘u dot stoermer at steinberg dot de’.
Also, could we have a remote screen sharing session? If you agree, please tell me the time zone you are in and we can arrange for a convenient time slot.

If you’re unable to run Dorico to the point that you can choose Help > Create Diagnostic Report because it’s hanging up on the splash screen, you can gather the files we need to see manually. First, go to /Users/your-username/Library/Application Support/Steinberg and zip up the “Dorico 3.5” folder. Then go to /Users/your-username/Library/Preferences and zip up the “Dorico 3.5 Audio Engine” folder. Attach those two zip files here, and hopefully that will give us something to go on.

Indeed, stupid me, if you can’t get Dorico to launch, then you can’t do Create Diagnostics Report. So please do as Daniel directed.
But are you on Dorico 3 or Dorico 3.5? If still on Dorico 3, then the folder names are ‘Dorico 3’ and ‘VSTAudioEngine 3’.
Additionally, we are interested in crash files of the audio engine, so please open the Console application and look for crash reports of VSTAudioEngine3.
If there are, right click on one of them and choose Reveal in Finder. Then zip them up and also send us. Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I am running Dorico 3. The software doesn’t open beyond the splash screen. I have found and zipped the ‘Dorico 3’ file but I was unable to find any file titled ‘VSTAudioEngine 3’. Unfortunately, I do not know how to upload a zip file to this forum. Admittedly, not being a very tech savvy Dorico user, I am in favor of a remote screen sharing session. My time zone is CST. Thanks.

Please send that what you have by e-mail to ‘u dot stoermer at steinberg dot de’. We then can also arrange everything for the remote session. CST is 7 hours behind my time zone. Is something around noon your local time okay with you?

I have sent you the file you requested. 12 noon could work for me, but it depends on the day.

New user on 3.5, 1 week. System hanging up at splash screen about 1 time in 3. Message says Audio Engine Process Fail. After shut down and re start it is usually OK. I’m running with NotePerformer on a PC. See att. crash report
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (366 KB)

Welcome to the forum, Sailorsailor. I’ll ask my colleague Ulf to take a look at this and see if he can spot anything out of the ordinary.

Hi Sailorsailor, thanks for the data, but there are actually no crash reports contained.
When this happens to you, do you quit Dorico and then immediately after try to launch it again?
Because this is a known issue on Windows, that relaunching Dorico too quickly results in this audio engine died scenario.
Currently we have no solution to this; simply just wait a few seconds before relaunching.

Yes this explains what is happening. It is not a great problem. Thanks.